Looking to tweak some settings

dulfbarglin

Question

I have a CloudDrive on Google Drive with my video files on it. It works really well for my iTunes stuff and DVR recordings because those aren't large bandwidth, but I've also remuxed most of my BluRays, figuring it'd be nice to have them at full quality all in one place (I don't know anything about encoding) and unfortunately a lot of those files buffer. Not horribly, but usually a movie will have 2 or 3 spots where it does a weird buffer and I have to go back a minute so that the video will keep playing normally. I have ~110 down and these remuxes are in the 20-30s range.

I have the following settings at the moment:

20 DL threads
No throttling
Prefetch Trigger: 1 MB

Prefetch Forward: 40 MB
Prefetch Time Window: 1000 sec

The drive is 256 TB so the whatever, block size?, chunk size? is the highest possible.

Is anyone able to handle streaming of remux Bluray quality? Should I be able to get better performance with changes to my settings?

Oh, another question, I have the cache size just set to the default 1 GB (expandable) setting. I'd keep more of a cache (the physical drive the CloudDrive uses is 1TB) but many versions ago I had a lot of problems with improper shutdowns leaving my drive in recovery for hours. If I use a larger cache and an improper shutdown happens will that mean my who cache will have to be uploaded over my slow 10 up connection? That would be horrible. Improper shutdowns happen much less often now but I had one the other day due to Windows 10 Creators Update so it's not like you can make sure it absolutely never happens.

4 answers to this question

I'd say open up your forward to something higher. Like 400 MB, and your cache size should be bigger. Otherwise it will use the drive as a passthrough and its not great. And if you change the minimum download size when mounting a drive to 20MB you should start maxing out your speeds.

If you hover over the size in the drive size at the top of the UI it will tell you what your minimum download size is set to. You can change it by detaching the drive and reattaching it.

I would drop your prefetch time window to somewhere around 30-150secs.

I generally suggest a cache at least as large as your largest media file.

There is a good guide here: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/61ppfi/stablebit_clouddrive_plex_and_you_a_guide/

It was written with Plex in mind, but should work well for any media-based drive.