Attaching cloud drive on multiple computers at the same time

Neaox

Question

I don't know about the technical limitations of this (i.e. if it is even possible to implement this). I was wondering if it would be possible to mount drives on multiple machines where the first computer is read/write and successive attachments are read-only.

Just an interesting possibility... 

3 answers to this question

StableIt seems like such a great product but this is a bit of a problematic limitation, esp. because a main competitor product like boxcryptor does not have this limitation. So:

1. Is what boxcryptor does (related to multiple devices) not the same as what is being discussed here?
  2. Are there essential differences between the two products that make this comparison invalid?
  3. What happens if my device dies and I didn't disconnect/logoff from the app there, is there a way for me to connect from another device? 

BoxCryptor works on a per file basis.  that means that each file is encrypted separately, and the file name may not be obfuscated.

It also appears to be an intermediary service. Meaning that all of your data hits their servers BEFORE being sent to the specific cloud provider. 

StableBit CloudDrive stores everything in an encrypted (or at least obfuscated) container. VSS supports works for the drive, actually, and you can use other file systems and additional encryption (such as BitLocker) on the drive. 

Additionally, all traffic is done between your system and the provider itself. There is no intermediary (the problem with this is if their site is down, or goes out of business, your data is now "gone"). 

And the intermediary is why you can access the files from multiple systems.  You connect to the intermediary rather than the actual data.  That said, you could set up a Windows VPS, install CloudDrive, and set up a web/webdav/FTP server, and accomplish the same thing here. 

As for you device dying, you can force attach the drive on a new system.  This will mount it, but can cause issues. 

That said, if the cache drive is intact, you may be able to recover the cache by installing both the software and the drive into the new system. It should pick up the cache drive, and "use" it to recover the drive with little or no data loss.