Symlink problem from WHS Drivepool > Win 10

WHS_Owner

Question

Hi,

I've been trying the below method to help with organizing my Media Library:

1) Create a folder on WHS2011 (either on a Drive included in the Drivepool or not, same issue), call it Kids Movies

2) Create simlink from each film you want to appear in that folder, I used a program called Link Shell Extension.

3) The "Kids Movie" folder now has a simlink to each Kids film, share the folder

4) On my W10 PC I map the Kids Movie folder to a Network Drive (although this isn't needed to see the problem)

5) Run the below comamnds in CMD in admin mode to allow sharing simlinks (I did this on WHS and W10 PC's): 

C:\Windows\system32>fsutil behavior query SymlinkEvaluation

Local to local symbolic links are enabled.
Local to remote symbolic links are enabled.
Remote to local symbolic links are disabled.
Remote to remote symbolic links are disabled.

C:\Windows\system32>fsutil behavior set SymlinkEvaluation R2R:1

C:\Windows\system32>fsutil behavior query SymlinkEvaluation

Local to local symbolic links are enabled.
Local to remote symbolic links are enabled.
Remote to local symbolic links are disabled.
Remote to remote symbolic links are enabled.

6) I can open the Kids Movies folder on my W10 PC but if I try and open the simlink to a film, I get the error:

"xyz is unavailable, if it's on a this PC please make sure it's connected, it may have been deleted" etc etc. I know the simlink CMD command was done correctly, because if it's not you get the message â€œThe symbolic link cannot be followed because its type is disabledâ€

EDIT: Running tests I have found that I can create a working symlink from a folder that is not part of the StableBit Drivepool, but if I try to create a symlink from a folder that is in the Drivepool, I get the error.

Any suggestions as to why this isn't working?

Thanks for the help :-)

1 answer to this question

Found a fix!

Turns out if you make the folder that will hold the symlinks ON the Drivepool itself, then it works fine, if that folder is on a non-drivepooled drive it doesn't. I can then mount that folder containing simlinks as a network drive on another PC and then use it/access it as I wish. I'm using it in Plex to separate out kids movies easily.

Even though this is solved I'll leave it up so others with this issues can find the workaround :-)