Changes to file name slow to propigate on network shares?

JasonC

Question

I've noticed that I fairly often run into a situation where if I rename a file on a network share, it's very slow to reflect the name change on other clients on the network.  Is this a normal situation with DrivePool? It's definitely not normal with any other Windows share that I've ever had. So for instance:

rename a file on client 1

client 2, if it has the same folder open at that time, doesn't reflect tihs change. In fact, I'm not sure how long, if ever, it will reflect the change.  Refreshing the folder doesn't update the file name. It seems like I have to leave the folder (up a level for instance) and then re-enter to get the file name change to be reflected.

I currently have the windows indexer on the server disabled, although I've never seen the indexer be responsible for this kind of behavior before. At a guess, Windows isn't being informed of the change, so cached values are sent to other clients until an operation that forces an explicit re-read happens.

Thank you

12 answers to this question

This happens solely over the network? 

If so, this may have to do with the directory caching for the network shares.  

And in this case, this may fix the issue you're seeing: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q7420208

Otherwise, if these are Windows 10 Anniversary Update (1607) systems, make sure you have this update installed:

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3216755

Ok, thank you! I'll start with the 1607 update.

For completeness, is this a "do both" situation on a 1607 system, or should the patch address the issue completely on 1607 systems? I'm planning to try disabling SMB caching through the reg keys after determining if the KB3216755 patch addresses the issue or not.

Thanks

The Windows update that I posted, this affects ANY WIndows 10 AU (1607) system, if the share is indexed with Windows Search.   Doesn't matter the OS.  This especially effects Windows Server Essentials, as Windows Search is enabled by default. on those OS's.  

Though, this was mostly with renaming or deleting folders. 

And I would do the update first, and if that doesn't help, then do both. 

The Windows update that I posted, this affects ANY WIndows 10 AU (1607) system, if the share is indexed with Windows Search.   Doesn't matter the OS.  This especially effects Windows Server Essentials, as Windows Search is enabled by default. on those OS's.  

Though, this was mostly with renaming or deleting folders. 

And I would do the update first, and if that doesn't help, then do both. 

Ah, ok.  I was unclear about that before. I thought you were indicating more that the client systems needed it, but if this is to address the problem of the search indexer, then it's actually a server side I'd be most concerned with. I had seen the sticky post re: search indexer earlier, which is why I had disabled the indexer originally.

After installing the patch on 2 clients, I don't seem to be having the problems manipulating files and folders, but that could be coincidence/temporary from power cycling things.

Thanks!

This happens solely over the network? 

If so, this may have to do with the directory caching for the network shares.  

And in this case, this may fix the issue you're seeing: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q7420208

Otherwise, if these are Windows 10 Anniversary Update (1607) systems, make sure you have this update installed:

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3216755

I forgot to answer the first question...I believe that no, it wasn't happening only on network files, but I rarely am accessing files locally from the server.

Additional update:

I've patched all clients, and the server.  I still have issues.  I have stopped and disabled the search indexer on everything as well. I've noticed the issues seem to be because I'm getting Open File handles on the server hanging around for a very long time.  I don't recall ever having had this issue before, so I'm not sure what the cause is. The open file handle is the problem, since, if I force it closed, whatever operation I was attempting will go through at that point.  The problem here is that I don't know why there's a lingering handle.

Thanks

I wasn't specific enough in my earlier post.  I'm seeing the open file handles at the folder level specifically, not on files.  I don't off hand know if this is normal, but what I see when I enter a folder is 2 file handles get created, one is exactly as the file path is, with regard to naming.  The other, the file path and name are uppercased.  When I leave the folder, the correctly named handles go away, but these upper'd ones seem to hang around indefinitely, causing my locking problem.

I've also noticed, in the case where the properly named handle stays around, it doesn't interfere with me deleting or otherwise modifying things.

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using?

2.1.1.561, I reverted off beta a while back because I had thought there was an issue with plugins, so I'm not against rolling forward back to current beta, if that might help.

I've installed the beta, I'll just watch if it fixes the file locking and name change problems..

In the mean time, I noticed that the beta reset all the Balancer settings to default I think. It turned the SSD Optimizer and Scanner off, and re-enabled the rest.  I've flipped that again, but the Optmizer doesn't seem like it's working.  I've noticed activity seems like it's going to the pool as normal and skipping my SSD drive.  I guess I'll just reinstall the SSD Optimizer?

Nevermind on the SSD optimizer. I just saw it completely reset the optimizer disk settings as well.

Ugh. Nevermind the nevermind. I am getting reference to object not set errors when I try and configure it.  Time for many uninstall/reinstall reboots and hope it starts working right I guess. :angry: