Looking for Debug Help

tlitchfo

Question

Good morning everyone!

I'm looking for some debug advice.  I have a Windows 10 setup with a Sans Digital 5-bay external HDD box.  I'm using the SIIG SC-SA0M11-S1 eSATA host adapter (driver 2.0.8.0) recommended by StableBit.  Have both StableBit DrivePool and Scanner loaded with DrivePool managing 3 of the 5 disks in the Sans Digital box. 

This box was setup in early 2014 has been running flawlessly since until last Friday (12/16).  Then it just started silent deaths requiring a hard reboot to recover.  I've been able to isolate the problem to the external HDD box.  If I leave the Sans Digital box turned off, the system will run normally with no problems.  When I turn the Sans Digital on and reboot, the system will boot fine and run, but will die within 24 hours.  I do not see any issues logged in the Windows event logs.

I have been able to recreate the symptoms.  I was focusing on the SIIG adaptor, and when you try to open Windows Devices from File Explorer, the system will go into la la land every time.  Interestingly enough, File Explorer will not launch from the Task Bar - you have to open it from the Start Menu.  Again, this happens every time you have the Sans Digital powered on.  If you reboot with it turned off, this scenario does not cause the death.

Just to test, I uninstalled the December Windows security patch, but that was not the problem.

Thoughts? 

3 answers to this question

it could be the siig card as an external box should not bring the host down - usually

is the box still running when the pc dies?

do you have another pc you can plug the box into to test?

On the Sans Digital, everything shows normal.  Power, PC Link, and all 5 HDD LEDs are lit.  I don't have another PC with eSATA available.