DrivePool drive letter moves on drive install

Kelthus

Question

I have done some looking on this and have not found an answer so I thought I would ask...

I have DrivePool setup as the 'D:' drive on my system.  Anytime I add a new drive it takes D: and moves the pool to the next available location.

Is there a way to lock D: so that it will not move (makes a mess of any shares) or is the only option to move the pool up to a higher letter where it will not get bumped?

Thanks...

3 answers to this question

Hey and Thanks,

I do plan to mount my drives to directories and for a while don't have any formatted drives that I plan to add which would move my pool drive letter.

Everything is back where it should be for now.

Would be nice if windows would lock the virtual drive assignment the way it does physical drives though.

Would be nice if windows would lock the virtual drive assignment the way it does physical drives though.

Yup.  Welcome to legacy code, and an issue that has been around for more than a decade. 

The best solution is to set the Pool's drive letter to be uch further along in the alphabet.