Clouddrive internet metering

asdaHP

Question

I very recently downloaded clouddrive, setup a onedrive drive (and later ACD) and uploaded a few test files. When i checked the next evening, I found that crashplan had accidentally tried uploading 26GB into onedrive. It seems that when mounted, this cloud drive was assigned the same letter as a previous (since removed) external drive that I backed my computer to.

At this point I was pretty excited as I thought i had found the solution to crashplan backups. Just mount say a cloud (eg ACD) as a drive, and have crashplan backup free to the cloud drive. I was planning to post to wonder what issues id face when I received the unpleasant email from xfinity that starting next month, Im to be capped at 1TB per month!! So that throws everything out as i will have to very careful with my uploads.

So that finally brings me to the question, Can I meter or cap the amount of uploads (and downloads for that matter) through cloud drive say a physical number? For that matter, where can i find how much data was sent/received through cloud drive in a day and can I restrict it if need be?

thanks

3 answers to this question

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that. :( 

There isn't a metering option, and i'm not sure there will be, because it would cause issues (effectively disconnect the drive at the end of the quota).   that said, there is a bandwidth limiter (per drive). 

That said, Comcast may have a business plan that is comparable to what you have. (but likely, will be more expensive, but should have higher upload) This way, you'd likely not have to deal with the data cap. 

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that. :(

There isn't a metering option, and i'm not sure there will be, because it would cause issues (effectively disconnect the drive at the end of the quota).   that said, there is a bandwidth limiter (per drive). 

That said, Comcast may have a business plan that is comparable to what you have. (but likely, will be more expensive, but should have higher upload) This way, you'd likely not have to deal with the data cap. 

Can you expand on the bandwidth limiter?

Also if i approach the data cap (comcast lets me see how much ive used day by day), can i stop cloud drive till the month is over to prevent accidental downloads and uploads?

Interesting point about business plan...but my plan is tied to a package, so wont probably work. Oh well so now both wireless and wired are capped...Good future for the internet :mellow:

It limits the speed. 

In theory, you can set it to "0 b/s" to stop it out right.  However, you can also set the threads to "0" and that will completely stop it as well. 

However, you'll only be able to access the data that is cached.  Meaning that a larger cache will help out significantly (if not be necessary). 

The problem is, if you need to access data that isn't cached, it may cause problems.  As in erroring out and eventually disconnecting the drive (I believe). 

Interesting point about business plan...but my plan is tied to a package, so wont probably work. Oh well so now both wireless and wired are capped...Good future for the internet :mellow:

And yeah, the bandwidth capping is a lot of BS.  IIRC, it's mainly because Comcast doesn't want to spend money on infrastructure to support more users and higher bandwidth requirements. So they are limiting the amount of data instead.  It's shady as shit, and there is no real alternative. :(

As for the business plan, it's worth pursuing, at least.  They may allow you to switch over to a business plan anyways. Basically, as long as you're sticking with the company, they may be lenient in that regards. Especially, as you may end up paying more, and/or have to sign an extended contract.