Windows 10 Recycle bin

Spider99

Question

Was wondering how Drivepool deals with the Recycle Bin - having just created a pool of 16TB - windows decided it needed a 800gb+ recycle bin!

My question is how is the bin distributed across the pool - each drive gets its proportion?

I assume its not duplicated?

Windows thinks its one recycle bin but if i had a drive failure could some of the "deleted" files be in part of the bin on that drive and be "lost" so trying to recover a file out of the recycle bin after the drive is removed would not be possible?

Also adding a ssd cache would that also have part of the recycle bin as well?

Thanks

3 answers to this question

It handles it "as normal". 

The recycle bin is actually a hidden, system folder on each disk, normally.  A "RECYCLE.BIN" folder, specifically.  When you recycle files, they're moved to this folder, along with some hidden metadata. 

The same thing happens on the pool, albeit the RECYCLE.BIN folder is distributed to the multiple disks, as per normal. 

So really, "nothing changes", and the recycle bin for the pool disk is handled completely separately from any other disk.  

Thanks - yes the recycle bin is "just" a hidden folder to "restore" from

Still not sure what happens in these cases though

"Windows thinks its one recycle bin but if i had a drive failure could some of the "deleted" files be in part of the bin on that drive and be "lost" so trying to recover a file out of the recycle bin after the drive is removed would not be possible?

Also adding a ssd cache would that also have part of the recycle bin as well?"

The Pool is handled just like any other drive.  Simple as that. 

However, yes, it does get more complicated with DrivePool. 

However, the folder and files are stored normally, in the hidden PoolPart folders. So when you delete a file, it's associated with the Pool itself, and not the underlying drive, because of the folder location. 

Eg, Windows looks for \RECYCLE.BIN on each drive, but not any subdirectories.  So it ignores the contents of \Poolpart.xxxxx\RECYCLE.BIN.  

As for an SSD Cache drive, I'm assuming you mean via the SSD Optimizer.  If so, since the files are being moved around, that depends on exactly how it's handled.  If the file is just moved around on the same underlying disk, then no, the SSD drive wouldn't be used.  Only "new" files go to the SSD drives.