Mount/Dismount, Copy/Share,Multiple Locked Folders.

Hussam

Question

Hello,

I just started trying Stablebit Drive.. I went ahead and connected Amazon Cloud Drive and also Google Drive .. Now I need to know how to disconnect them or unmount and how to sign back into them let's say from either the same system or from another system. The X or logout option in the Stablebit Drive program does not seem to work.. I tried by best to logout but the drives are still mounted on the system and I can still access the data..

Also, will the final version or the full/paid one include usage on multiple systems? Because that's important to me and I would rather not pay for license for each system I have.

Another question .. Is what happens to encrypted data by StableBit if we copied it or moved it? Can I for example make copies on different google drive accounts and then be able to access them using the same encryption password?

As for sharing, can I make multiple locked folders and share each of those folders individually with different people? Maybe that's a feature that could be added where I can share access or give access to another person in my home to the Drive account but folders inside it are locked with different passwords?

5 answers to this question

Hello,

I just started trying Stablebit Drive.. I went ahead and connected Amazon Cloud Drive and also Google Drive .. Now I need to know how to disconnect them or unmount and how to sign back into them let's say from either the same system or from another system. The X or logout option in the Stablebit Drive program does not seem to work.. I tried by best to logout but the drives are still mounted on the system and I can still access the data..

Clicking on the "X" next to the connection name should log you out of the account. 

As for unmounting the drives,  open the drive details (clicking the ">" or "<" buttons at the top), click on "Drive Options" and select "Detach".  This will come up wit ha prompt, and allow you to unmount the disk from the system. 

Also, will the final version or the full/paid one include usage on multiple systems? Because that's important to me and I would rather not pay for license for each system I have.

No.  The license is per system. If you want to run it on multiple systems, then you need multiple licenses.  However, each additional license is only $15 each, rather than the full price. 

Additionally, a single drive can only be accessed from a single system at a time. If you want to access it on another system, you'd need to detach it on the previous system and then mount it on the new system. 

We don't support concurrent access, as it would cause corruption... 

If you need to access it at multiple locations, then you'd need to share it (VPNing, FTP, WebDAV, programs like SeaFile I believe, or the like). 

Another question .. Is what happens to encrypted data by StableBit if we copied it or moved it? Can I for example make copies on different google drive accounts and then be able to access them using the same encryption password?

As long as ALL of the data is moved over, and it's moved over to the same account type (google drive to google drive, etc), then you should be able to access it, mount it and unlock it without any issues. 

However, changing providers may not work, as there are different setups based on the different providers.  

Also, emphasis on *all* of the data. Especially the metadata, as this contains disk "geometry" info and other important info. 

As for sharing, can I make multiple locked folders and share each of those folders individually with different people? Maybe that's a feature that could be added where I can share access or give access to another person in my home to the Drive account but folders inside it are locked with different passwords?

On a local network, you can use Windows File Sharing normally.  

But if you mean on the internet, that's a bit more complicated. 

As above, something like FTP, WebDAV, or programs like SeaFile should be able to facilitate that for you. 

However, providing some sort of service like this is something that we've talked about internally, in a large part because of StableBit CloudDrive, and that this is a common request.  (and it would fit in well into our products)

Thank you so much for the reply to all the questions! .. I was able to detach and also log back in and all is good :)

As for the multiple locked folders, I figured for now I could just do multiple drives on the same Google Drive account and mount each as needed.

It seems like a really well put together software and I am already starting to love it.

Thank you once again.

You are very welcome!  

And it's kind of counterproductive to not answer all of the questions. :) 

And yes, you absolutely can create multiple drives on the same account. There is no issues with doing so, and it is 100% supported. 

And glad to hear that you're liking the software! 

However, providing some sort of service like this is something that we've talked about internally, in a large part because of StableBit CloudDrive, and that this is a common request.  (and it would fit in well into our products)

Oh, cool! Have you discussed which underlying protocols would be used? Rsync over SSH should work quite well for this.

Oh, cool! Have you discussed which underlying protocols would be used? Rsync over SSH should work quite well for this.

A bit. It's more of a "idea/planning" stage right now.  Meaning, discussing the future and what we'd like to do. 

Honestly, I'd like something like OwnCloud, SeaFile or the like. A nice, simple, self contained program that had a web (http/ftp/webdav/etc) server that allows you to access the data on the system and to download and upload it.  More features would be nice, but even something simple would be fantastic.  

But I'm not the programmer here. That's all Alex (I do know how to, but it's just not my cup of tea). 

We have a few other projects planned before we even get to that, and those will likely get priority. Some are simple and some won't be as simple. But most won't be as complex as StableBit CloudDrive, so should be a quicker release cycle for them.  

But rest assured, this is something I'd love to see (because I've been looking for this sort of solution for a long while), and plan on pushing it as much as I can. :)