Disk keeps dropping (won't reappear until reboot)

thepregnantgod

Question

Perhaps you guys can help me, I have 30 disks (100TB) in a pool.

One of them is an 8TB Seagate archive disk.  About 2 months ago it started dropping routinely - which as you know - locks the pool into read only mode.  I could get it to readd after a reboot but inevitably it would drop again upon high use.

I removed all files from the disk, reformatted it, then readded it.  Still same behavior.

So I RMA'd the disk.  The company sent me another 8TB archive disk and now I'm experiencing the same issue.

Am I missing something?  I can't imagine that I got yet another faulty 8TB disk.  And...it's the only one out of 29 other disks that does this.  And it's not my only Seagate disk. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

1 answer to this question

What is the disk connected to? 

USB or SATA?

Onboard controller? Which?

A controller card? Which? 

Also, check the "Event Viewer" (run "eventvwr.msc"), open the "Windows Logs" section and select "System". 

Check for ntfs, disk, or controller (iaStor, ahci, xhci, raid, etc).  Especially when this happens. 

Also, have you used StableBit Scanner's Burst test? (right click on the drive in the list and select it). 

And is this using the same port/cable? If so, have you swapped out the cable? 
(I ask because I've actually burned out SATA cables.... seriously).