Drivepool and the remeasuring function

HDRKC07

Question

My PC, Windows 10 with a drivepool of 18TB has been getting progessively slower over the past few weeks.  Stablebit scanner shows all drives as Healthy.  I have run virus checks and all is OK.  The updates are all current.  I basically use the computer to store my collection of movies, rip new additions to the drive, modify them thru handbrake, then store them in the pool for access using Plex.  I noticed folders started taking longer and longer to open.  Ripping movies also became slower.  I ran the rebalancing which seemed to help some.  Two days ago I accessed Stablebit to check on the pool and noticed at the bottom of the screen where a green line usually was present it was now yellow and showed activity; measuring.  I got out of the program and restarted the program.  I decided to run the remeasure from the pool choices.  It has been doing this now for two days.  My question is this normal on a pool of this size?  There are 8 drives in the pool with only one showing  the line as dark; the remaining are showing a lighter color.  As you can probably tell, I'm by no means a guru on Drivepool.  I have owned it for several years without problem, just installed, added the drives and enjoy.  Can this remeasuring be stopped without screwing up the content or do I just let it go and see what happens?

Thanks

1 answer to this question

You'll want to measuring to finish. This is how the software gets the data for balancing, and other metrics.  So there really isn't a way to stop it. 

However, it should complete relatively quickly.  For an 18TB pool, that should take a few hours, usually.  However, since this is checking each and every file on the disk, it can take a while to complete, especially if you have a large number of small files. 

And it shouldn't significantly impact system performance. 

While StableBit Scanner may have shown the drive as healthy, there may be an issue with it.  Run "eventvwr.msc", open the 'Windows Logs" section and select the "System" log.  Check for "disk", "ntfs", or controller related errors ("achi", "raid", iastor, xhci, etc).  If you're seeing these, then there may be a communication with the disk, and this could absolutely cause the issues you're encountering. 

Also, in StableBit Scanner, check the "Disk queue length". 

http://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Disk%20List

Right click on the column header and select "Disk Queues".  

If you're seeing a value about 3-4 on a non-SSD drive, then it may indicate that the disk is being overworked.