Difference Between versions?

Enigma147

Question

While  installing the scanner, i get the question  "What type of device is this".

What are the differences between these  settings? Is the only difference the time the scanner runs, or are there more differences? 

Simple spec's i5-6500, 16 GB ram, 14 HDD's (and  2 SSD's, not in pool) drives, total  DrivePool size: 23 TB, 5 TB free. 

While i've got a desktop machine, for  some tasks it functions like a server.  
- The PC runs 24/7/365.

- Functions als mij local fileserver.  

- Hyper-V with 1 virtual machine, a mail server. Also always on, data stored on one if the SSD's.    

- Backup server for my home network, 4 other pc's/laptops. 

Other often used tasks: Photoshop, 3D rendering software. some light gaming.

What setting would be best?

For now, i chose the server role.  

Edit: 

Thanks,  The scanner helped already, even before running the scans.  It flagged one of my oldest drives with a SMART Warning. The reallocated sectors count was too high (101), for my taste. So, i'm swapping that drive with a 2 TB drive.    

2 answers to this question

While  installing the scanner, i get the question  "What type of device is this".

What are the differences between these  settings? Is the only difference the time the scanner runs, or are there more differences?   

http://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Quick%20Settings

• Tablet: Frequently scans the disks at any time of day, except with on battery power.
  • Laptop: Periodically scans the disks at any time of day, except when on battery power.
  • Desktop: Periodically scans the disks at any time of day, and will wake up the computer to scan the disks.
  • Server: Periodically scans the disks between 3AM and 6AM, and will wake up the computer to scan the disks.

Aside from that, there are some other differences, but these are just default configuration settings that we feel are "ideal" for the different use cases.

All of the settings are configured in the "Scanner settings" section, and you can fine tune these as you want. 

And based on your config, I'd use the "Server" setting.  This is a bit more aggressive about scanning, IIRC, and since it only scans during the early morning, it should minimize the impact on your system. 

You can re-run this at any time by click on "Settings -> Quick Settings" on the UI. 

But you can get a detailed list of the settings here: 

http://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual

Check the "Settings" section. 

Also, you may want to check the Advanced settings, and set the "ScanMaximumConcurrent" setting to 0, 4 or 8 (so it will scan multiple disks at the same time.   Just make sure you disable the "do not interfere with disks on the same controller" option, as well... though this is disabled for the Server profile already, IIRC). 

The scanner helped already, even before running the scans.  It flagged one of my oldest drives with a SMART Warning. The reallocated sectors count was too high (101), for my taste. So, i'm swapping that drive with a 2 TB drive.    

I'm ... sort of glad to hear it.  :)

I mean, I'm glad that Scanner is already working out well for you, but i'm sorry to hear about the disk! 

If the drive is under warranty, you should be able to RMA it (and get a nice new/refurb unit). 

I don't mind the drive. It was almost 5 years old. It served me well, it was time to replace it. I've replaced it with a 2 TB drive left over from another system. 

Added another SSD,  PNY - CS1311 - 240 GB, And added it along with the 250 GB 840 Samsung Evo drive already in the system, to be used as an SSD cache drive. A lot of my stuff is duplicated, so i needed 2 SSD drives.

Tnx for the help :)