Drivepool Cannot Connect to Service

marquis6461

Question

This just happened with the last Windows 10 update.  Unsure what to do.  Not wanting to rock the apple cart unless I need to.

DrivePool is working.  Shows files and no longer locks after I had to remove each drive.  Pull all data from them.  Re-low level format and Place them back in. 

As I say,  DrivePool is up and running fine but now when I try to see the status of drives to add or remove.  It says cannot connect to service. 

Rebooted system  No Joy.  Since I can still see the drives fully, I am moving all my movies and TV shows off the system for safety reasons.

I have been using my server with drivepool as a Media Server like the one made on www.cuttingcords.com .

Seems all indexers and torrent servers are going offline and even VPN service is flakey.

Because 27 TB is contained on 14 Drives, I cannot estimate when I will be able to mess with the system.  This can turn into a real nightmare and I can loose all my data.

Will hopefully have an answer some time in the future but this is scary.  I even pulled all the drivepool drives offline for a reboot.  Nothing.  When I reconnected them back and rebooted.  I got drivepool online but still unable to connect to service.

Even tried to use the scanner to reset the system.  That is why I know the drivepool is online because the scanner can see the drives.

I something has happened in Windows 10 to cause this, I am happy that you will take a look into it.  If it keeps someone else from freaking out I am happy.

2 answers to this question

Found the problem ...  Thought you would like to hear the solution.

Problem was with an Sata Drive that WAS NOT part of the pool but was being monitored by the scanner.

Once i unloaded the scanner and removed the SATA drive that was not part of the pool.  The system responded.

The way I found it out was Windows 10 made me reboot my system to chkdsk the suspect drive.  When it tried to finish, Windows could not remount the drive.

I pulled it and the system came up with no problems.

I suggest that you write something into the service  that allows it to bypass all drives not included into the pool.  Allow you to press a button if you want to add drives to the pool.  Seems safer than making all drives queued up as Drivepool even looks at USB thumbdrives as acceptable.

Just a thought

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using? 

And could you grab these files:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Error_Reports

As for the issue, that is very odd. It sounds like the one specific drive was having issues that may have been causing issues elsewhere.  I've seen disks that do cause issues like this, and removing them is the only solution.

Specifically, if there is an issue communicating with the disk (such as with a PCB issue), it can cause all sorts of havoc, up to and including causing the VDS (Virtual Disk Service) to become unstable. 

Since StableBit DrivePool uses the VDS service to enumerate the drives/volumes in the system, there isn't really a good solution to handle that, unless the issue is recoverable. (meaning that we can pull the info regardless). 

However, that's what why I'm asking for the Error Reports. In cases like this, it may dump relevant information about what was going on, and allow us to better troubleshoot and handle the issue. 

As for disallowing drives, by default, we exclude dynamic disks and any flash drives from the list of non-pooled disks.