Server 2012R2 - Drives using mountpoints - display warnings in Device Manager

Sonicmojo

Question

Getting to the end of the home server build with Windows Server 2012 R2 - I was checking Device Man today and noticed an odd pair of yellow flags in Device Manager.

In the attached graphic - you can see the flags - associated with two Seagate 4TB NAS drives that I have installed.

post-2407-0-14041700-1460472416_thumb.png

In order to clear the clutter of drive letters (so DrivePool is the only "big" drive I see in Explorer - I am using mount points for the drives.

Upon further inspection - I see Error 10 saying this device cannot start. But all the actual drives are fine and online - taking data normally.

post-2407-0-49006000-1460472415_thumb.png

What do we think the problem is here - am I missing a driver or inf file or something?

Further to this - I now see a warning in Event Viewer as well:

post-2407-0-23178200-1460473964_thumb.png

And regedit confirms this is a problem with Drivepool...

post-2407-0-04786200-1460473965_thumb.png

Ideas?

Sonic

6 answers to this question

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using?

Also, is the pool working properly here? 

If so, then you should be safe to ignore these warnings. 

Otherwise, let us know.

Using 2.1.1.561 currently.

Drivepool is rocking along with nothing out of the ordinary. So far.

I am hoping that I do not ignore them and have something go weird on me here in a week or two. I am real close to standing up this server as the go to box here shortly.

Sonic.

I too have the exact same issue running Windows 10 x64 using V2.2.0.651 BETA.  All 8 drives in my Mediasonic Probox (over eSata) are showing the same error message.  DrivePool working great, I just hate the unknown errors showing in the device manager.

If you assign each drive a letter, the error goes away.  If you remove the letter and keep the mount to an NTFS folder, without rebooting, the error will go away.  When you reboot, the errors come back.

Any suggests?

Thanks.

Daniel

I too have the exact same issue running Windows 10 x64 using V2.2.0.651 BETA.  All 8 drives in my Mediasonic Probox (over eSata) are showing the same error message.  DrivePool working great, I just hate the unknown errors showing in the device manager.

If you assign each drive a letter, the error goes away.  If you remove the letter and keep the mount to an NTFS folder, without rebooting, the error will go away.  When you reboot, the errors come back.

Any suggests?

Thanks.

Daniel

If that's the case, then this is an issue with the WPD driver itself.  I suspect that it "requires" (expects) a drive letter, as it assumes that it is a portable device, and throws this fit when it doesn't.  

I'd say use "eSATA" instead, but you already are...

So, you *could* mount to drive letters and use a reghack or tweak utility to hide the specific drive letters. Aside from that... the error should be benign.

Just an update on this one - unknown to me - my motherboard vendor suggested I install the actual Intel SATA drivers (even tho the OS drivers installed with Windows Server 2012 R2 seemed to work fine)

Once I did that - all yellow flags cleared up for me and it's smooth sailing now.

Cheers!

Sonic.