Help me understand "Pool seeding" using existing drive data (Q4142489)

Sonicmojo

Question

Like many others - as I move my file shares over to Drivepool - I am faced with the prospect to having to transfer several TB of data - and ideally do not want to have to transferred that kind of payload to the pool manually (file copy). So when I found the Q4142489 document ("Seed a StableBit DrivePool Pool with existing content.") I am understandably excited at moving lots of stuff fast.

I am confused on a couple of things within this document. Hopefully someone can get me clear.

My new server "will" have 4x4TB NAS drives on board when I am done. Drivepool and Scanner are installed and DP appears as the "P" drive.

With this "seeding" scenario - I plan to bring over my Music Drive (currently N:\ on the old server) and merge it into the new Pool.

Where I get confused is what happens - on the new server - when I add the existing 4TB Music drive to the Pool:

1. What drive letter will it get? (windows auto assigned D and F to my test drives - will assume this new placement will get G:?)

2. Let's say the drive does become G:\ - but I want the actual files to reside in a share called Music within the Drivepool (P:/Music) What do I need to do to make this happen?

3. Or if I mount the incoming drive to a folder path and follow the instructions in Q4142489 - when expose hidden folders - how do I ensure I move the files to the right spot for them to appear as P:\Music?

4. Do I need to create the P:\Music share within the pool BEFORE adding the drive with incoming Data?

5. Anything else I have missed?

For test purposes - I am going to add some sample data to a small drive and walk thru this article step by step to see what happens.

Any additional info would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

Sonic.

EDIT: Did some extensive testing on this - works like a charm. Regardless if one uses a drive letter or folder mount. This is going to save me days of time.

1 answer to this question

1. THe location on the pool will match whatever is in the PoolPart folder. So if the stuff on the music drive is just in the root, you would want to create a "Music" folder (either in the root of the disk before moving to the poolpart folder, or in the PoolPart folder and move the files to that folder)

2. I'm not entirely sure what you mean here, but you should be able to access the files just fine.

Though, we recommend against accessing the files on the pooled disk. You should always access the files via the Pool drive. 

3. That should be fine.  And again, as long as the files are in a "Music" folder in the PoolPart folder, they will show up in a "Music" folder on the pool, itself. 

4. See above. 

5. Not that I can see, really. 

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.