How do I just display the Drivepool drive (and letter) in Win Explorer?

Sonicmojo

Question

Just started my Drivepool trial (Windows Server 2012R2) and would like to know:

1. Best way to lose all the individual drive letters via Windows Explorer. I just want to see the Drivepool itself (and hopefully the shares within)

2. Best way to set my specific drive letter for the pool? Mine was set to E upon first pool build - I would like it to be P

Appreciate any info on the above.

Cheers!

Sonic.

5 answers to this question

1. Run diskmgmt.msc from a command prompt (or the Run command) and right click on the disk you want to disable the drive letter from. Click on Change Drive Letter and Paths and hit Remove and then OK

2. You can (in theory) use the same approach to change the drive letter of the pool as well, but I'm not sure if this will cause any unexpected problems for the DrivePool-app

-rune

1. Run diskmgmt.msc from a command prompt (or the Run command) and right click on the disk you want to disable the drive letter from. Click on Change Drive Letter and Paths and hit Remove and then OK

2. You can (in theory) use the same approach to change the drive letter of the pool as well, but I'm not sure if this will cause any unexpected problems for the DrivePool-app

-rune

Thanks!

So - when removing drive letters - and assuming I will ever only work with/create shares directly against my DrivePool "P" drive - is there any other mysterious "gotchas" out there that one may face with a bunch of drives with no drive letters?

I just want to make sure I get this right before dumping all the letters and then finding out later they were needed for some obscure task.

On the second point - I simply changed the Pool letter via Disc Management. It worked fine.

Cheers!

Sonic.

We recommend mounting the disks to folder paths, actually. And we have instructions on how to do so:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q6811286

The reason for this, is if you feel the need to access the disks, or if you feel the need to run maintenance on the disks. You can run "chkdsk c:\path\to\drive" and it will work fine. If you don't have a letter or folder path, it gets a lot more complicated (and harder to tell which disk is which). 

However, StableBit DrivePool (nor StableBit Scanner) actually needs a "mount point" (drive letter or folder path) to access the drives. We use the "Volume ID" directly, so you can change the mounts without any issues. 

And you can change the drive letter of the pool without any issues.  And we recommend setting the pool to a higher drive letter, as Windows can sometimes bump drive letters when you add "new" disks, if they're lower in the alphabet. 

We recommend mounting the disks to folder paths, actually. And we have instructions on how to do so: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q6811286

This article simply outlines assigning a drive letter. I did read up on folder paths tho...

Now can these "empty" NTFS folders that point to the "mounted" drives - reside in the Drivepool (P)?

I am thinking it's probably best to create mount point folders on the C:\Drive and use those to look at the drives if need be.

Also - best practices for naming these mount point folders? Something like a brand or disc serial number (Seagate4TB01) or SATA connection # (SATA05) - so I can easily determine which drive I am looking at?

Sonic.

Oops, sorry, the correct link should be this one: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624

The two links are right next to each other, so I must have grabbed the wrong one. Sorry.

As for the mounted disks, yes, they can, but I would highly recommend against this, as it could cause issues.  In fact, I'd recommend mounting them to a folder in the C:\ drive. 

Also - best practices for naming these mount point folders? Something like a brand or disc serial number (Seagate4TB01) or SATA connection # (SATA05) - so I can easily determine which drive I am looking at?

This absolutely depends on you.  What is good for one person may not be for another. 

I personally use the slot number of my rackmount case, as this makes identification easy, and I don't have to list the serial number or anything else. 

But you can use anything that you want. And it will be displayed in the UI for both StableBit DrivePool and StableBit Scanner.