Forum Poll: Reallocated Sectors Count Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001 Drives

kihimcarr

Question

I have had three of these hard drives display the "Reallocated Sectors Count" S.M.A.R.T. warning within the last 30 days. I was wondering if anyone else out there was experiencing this on this model hard drive from Seagate? I believe this is an issue with this particular model wanted to test my theory. A buddy of mine is having the same issue.

Model #: ST3000DM001-1CH166

Firmware: CC43

3 answers to this question

I have seven of the ST3000DM001 drives, and none have any reallocated sectors.

All of them are the -9YN166 model, but still.  And they are the CC9E or CC9F firmware. This could make a difference.

It is possible that the drives are from the same batch, and that batch has a defect (this unfortunately does happen, with *all* manufacturers).

If you are very concerned, check with Seagate support and you should be able to RMA the drives. May be a good idea if the reallocated sector count keeps climbing (as this would indicate a serious defect)

Interesting, none of my -9YN1 drives have experienced this issue. I have been RMAing all of the impacted -1CH1 drives. What's even more interesting is I received an email from Seagate saying their inventory is depleted and my replacement will be sent when they have more. This leads me to believe that there is a high failure rate. Just my hunch. Thanks for the info and I believe the same, I have drives from a bad batch.

It's very likely.  Unfortunately, it does happen.

Also, Scanner's surface scan will cause the reallocated sectors to show up more often (well "appear" more often, but it just triggers the internal error correction mechanisms, and report it via SMART).

I've also... done the not as great thing, and shelled a bunch of Seagate Backup Plus drives for my 3TBs.