Pool size and free space calculation seems incorrect

wjones

Question

Hi All,

Using Drivepool v2.3.6.1562

I have been using drivepool for a number of years without any issues. Recently I am experiencing a weird issue.

I have 2 x 1tb SSDs with full duplication enabled.

I have around 450gb of files in this pool.

Therefore, I would expect DP to say total size is 1tb, 450 used, and 500ish free. 

However, DP seems to think the pool is 1.78tb in size, with 835 free, and 990 duplicated - everything is doubled.

• image.png.b9c2839f53773c4d66416bd8d1d2c0bd.png
  • image.png.9c59ac5a61846ed8dcab06de4d657792.png

Why does this matter?, basically my PC thinks it has 834gb of free space but in fact it has far less:

• image.png.9807e9a8b5088f9ffe89b10739ebd56e.png

The one change I made recently that I think may be related is that I used mounted folders instead of mounted drives (c:\DrivePoolDisks in my pool).

I did not find anything in the docs related to this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Will

1 answer to this question

While files and folders in a pool will still show their size (and also their "size on disk") as if they were not duplicated, DrivePool calculates the total, used and free space on the basis of the actual physical drives' total, used and free space; it does not attempt to predict space on the basis of duplication (e.g. that if you have x2 duplication on the entire pool you'll of course be using x2 as much space for each file). This is because of the problem of it being impossible to predict post-duplication free space when using per-folder duplication.