Win7 -> Win10 and using of NTFS folders mount option for underlying drives *and* Drivepool volume

rimmon1971

Question

Hi all, Drivepool newbie here.

I've just bought single license for my Win7pro HTPC, now I'd like to upgrade it to Windows 10.

Given that I intend to:

1. perform the upgrade to obtain the retail Win 10 key associated to my hardware
  2. perform a clean Windows 10 install afterwards, over the same hardware

May I simply reuse my Drivepool ActivationID?

I'd like to configure Win10 to perform an autologon with a local user and I'd like to mount Drivepool volume under the

c:\Users\myshinylocaluser\ NTFS folder, in order to have My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos, My Music, Desktop, Downloads, Google Drive, and so on transparently mirrored thru Drivepool's features: is it possible/how should I proceed?

I've already populated the Drivepool with pictures, movies and so on, but they are located under folders whose names doesn't conflict with the standard Windows folders: I'll transfer the existing data to standard folders after the mounts.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

5 answers to this question

Yup, exactly. 

Though, I'd recommend mounting the pooled disks to a folder (such as folder under "c:\DrivePool", so you can keep the root folder "clean").  And this way, you just have the C:\ drive and the pool drive. listed in This PC/My Computer/etc.  Part of the reason for this is if you need to move files around, it's handles it better in regards to use feedback if it's not to a folder path "on the same disk".

If it's only running on one system, then yes, you can absolutely can.

Just deactivate the license first, and then you should be able to activate it on the new installation. 

To deactivate the license:

• StableBit DrivePool 2.X/Stablebit CloudDrive: Open the UI on the system that DrivePool is installed on, click on the "Gear" icon in the top, right corner and select the "manage license" option.
  • StableBit Scanner: Open the UI on the system that Scanner is installed on. Click on "Settings" and select "Scanner Settings". Open the "Licensing" tab, and click on the "Manage license" link.
This will open a window that shows you the Activation ID, as well as a big button to "Deactivate" the license. Once you've done this, you can activate the license on a new system.

Though, I would recommend against mounting the Pool drive to the C:\Users folders, as if there is an issue with the pool, it could affect your user provide, and even your ability to log in. 

However, You can move the user folders to the Pool, by right clicking on the folder, selecting the "Location" tab, and moving the folder to the pool.  Repeat this for all the user folders you want to move.  This way, if there is a problem with the pool, you can still log in and use the system, without having to worry about anything else. 

Got it, thanks!

So I can proceed this way, to get rid of unnecessary drive letters:

Mount physical drives under c:\usb1 and c:\usb2

Mount pool under c:\pool

Move "my pictures", "my music" and so on under c:\pool (for the autologged user)

Is it correct?

Thanks again in advance!