SSHD drives...landing drive?

thepregnantgod

Question

I just bought a new SSHD 4TB drive (cheaper than the other 4TB drives) and am curious if it's still possible to keep that as a landing drive when I copy files to the pool?

1. Considering I've moved my pool to a headless media server in a closet and it's limited by ethernet speeds, will it matter?

2. Is it possible to have files in a cache on the way out as well?  On the way in is presumably this SSHD or SSD but on the way out?  I have nearly all green drives and their access time/spin up time is slow.

1 answer to this question

Well, you could definitely use the SSD Optimizer balancer plugin here.  While it says "SSD", it doesn't have to be. Any fast drive would work.

And even limited to ethernet speeds (125MB/s for gigabit, not counting overhead, etc), there are cases where drive access can drop below the "normal speed" (the rated max sequential data rate). So a fast write drive may help.

as for read caching, not so much. We do include read striping by default, but it does require duplicated data to work.

Aside from that, you can use the File Placement rules to lock certain file types or folders to specific disks, to speed up the read speed.

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Performance%20Options

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=File%20Placement