File Placement Question

eholyst

Question

I recently started using the file placement feature. I thought I had it configured correctly but looking into it seems not so much. Wondering if anyone can help me understand what might be going on with my setup.

I have attached the screenshots of the file placement section and the error I am receiving along with the enabled balancers.

Balancers.png

File Placement.png

7 answers to this question

You may need to tick "Balancing plug-ins respect file placement rules" in the Balancing Settings section.

If you have duplication enabled, you will need to select the appropriate number of disks for a file placement rule (e.g. 2x duplication -> two disks).

So if I move it to any other disk than my cache ssd which is disk 12 it gives me the same error that there is not enough room. So I am not sure where the conflict is coming from as there is plenty of room on all disks. Besides the three balancers that I have in the screenshot there is nothing else applied to the pool.

It might be a conflict between the file placement rules and the SSD Optimizer, as both do real-time placement. You may need to experiment with what you have (un)ticked in the File placement settings.

Another option would be to have sub-pools for your cache disks and archive disks, so that you can have the file placement rules only apply to files as they move onto the archive disks.

I guess I am not understanding why it is allowing the files to be placed on only one specific archive disk and not the others with the error message"there isn't enough space". As you can see there is plenty of room for 24gb of data on any of my archive disks. 

There is only one specific folder I have in file placement settings to follow a rule. 

The error message is not "there isn't enough space". The error message is "Make sure that you have enough disk space in order to satisfy your file placements rules and that they're not conflicting with other balancing settings" (emphasis mine).

So since you have plenty of free space the problem is likely to be a conflict with other balancing settings, and in this case I suspect the SSD Optimizer.

If you don't mind your File Placement rule over-riding the SSD Optimizer, try UN-ticking "File placement rules respect real-time file placement limits set by the balancing plug-ins."

Edit: P.S. I would also not recommend a file placement rule that says to keep files on the same disk(s) that your SSD Optimizer has marked as "SSD" as the former would conflict with the latter wanting to empty files from there.