DrivePool Temps shown do "flip"/differ from that reported in Scanner UI

p3x-749

Question

...I just came accross a strange effect in DrivePool UI.

I just had one older 2TB drive started dying on me in my pool and decided to do some upgrades before more of that *hit is going to happen...

This included employing Stablebit Scanner (running the Trial Licences atm)

I am now in the process of swapping drives in and out, moving to fewer and larger drives (going to migrate to a bunch of 8TB SMR disks and SSD optimizer).

During the current drive remove run, Scanner UI reports the drive temps consistently fine while in DrivePool UI, I see the temps (currently of one particular drive) "flip"/change after a while.

Meaning Scanner reports temp for that drive as 42C...Drivepool UI, when brought up, also starts to report 42C but "flips" to 24C after approx 60secs time  :wacko:

Any Ideas what is going on?

BTW:

The drive in question is a new Seagate 8TB Archive v2...all drives are on a LSI 2008 and I am *not* doing hotswap.

Drivepool V2.1.1.561 - Scanner V2.5.1.3062 - Win8.1Pro 64bit

9 answers to this question

FWIW...this behavior seems to be observable after having added a new drive to the pool and using the pool without a system reboot.

I just added another 3 drives and the UI shows the odd wrong temps only for these newly added... the drives added before (now with a reboot in between) stay consistent with Scanner UI

That's .... very odd.  

IRC, we use WMI for communication between the StableBit Scanner and StableBit DrivePool service. So, if there is an issue, it may be WMI related.

However, the next time this happens, could you get a memory dump of the service, and upload it to us? That should help us get a better idea what is going on.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Service_Memory_Dump

I'll try reproducing this in the next couple of days, but just in case I can't...

...I created a dump from that instance still running where I added those new drives.

Also I removed the older, smaller drives, so the pool consists of 3x8TB drives for now....1 drive showing the right temp of 43C, whilst the others (reported by Scanner with 44C and 43C) show in DrivePool UI with 28C and 25C.

...you might be right, regarding WMI...the smaller drives were successfully removed and temps showing fine...however, the mouseover showed them still with 1.6TB in use, but only until I closed and reopened the UI.

I suspect it is the comms between Service-Process and UI.

....uploading the dump now

If that's the case, then it may be a communication issue or a render issue in the UI.

Either way, I've flagged this issue for Alex (the developer), just in case.

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/22897

And I'm not seeing the memory dumps yet, if you've uploaded them (depending on where). Let me know when you've uploaded them. 

...I created a dump from that instance still running where I added those new drives.

Also I removed the older, smaller drives, so the pool consists of 3x8TB drives for now....1 drive showing the right temp of 43C, whilst the others (reported by Scanner with 44C and 43C) show in DrivePool UI with 28C and 25C.

...you might be right, regarding WMI...the smaller drives were successfully removed and temps showing fine...however, the mouseover showed them still with 1.6TB in use, but only until I closed and reopened the UI.

I suspect it is the comms between Service-Process and UI.

....uploading the dump now

Is this still happening on the system? 

And if so, could you upgrade to the beta build of StableBit Scanner and if it persists?

If that still has the issue, then try repairing the WMI repositories, as this is most likely a WMI issue (as that's how the two programs communicate).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7684

Or or do this:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2009/04/13/wmi-rebuilding-the-wmi-repository.aspx

If that doesn't fix it.... then let us know.

..not seeing the effect atm, but it was there even two reboots after I added the last drive to the system...I'll keep watch.

Reading through the other docs you linked above doesn't make me feel good using windows at all ....glad that this is not my "real" NAS but only for archiving backups  :rolleyes: