SSD monitoring

tomba

Question

9 answers to this question

Depends on what you mean by "monitors".

Scanner definitely grabs the SMART data from SSDs, as well as does the periodic file scans.

Will I get a warning when it goes awry? My current bootdisk is generating Smart Warnings which is leading me to think about exchanging it for an SSD.

Yes, you can definitely configure Scanner to send you email notifications. 

Ok, maybe my question was a little bit ambiguous. I know I can get email notifications (already receiving those), my question is more: is Scanner able to detect a failing SSD just like HDDs, as in is it able to correctly interpret the Smart data provided by an SSD?

Yes. As long as the drive provides the information via SMART. And a lot of the modern SSD include a "health" attribute of some sort which we monitor.

For instance, my OCZ Vertex 4 has some of the standard "wear" indicators (such as "reallocated sector count", and "Read Error Rate"). But it has a couple of specific attributes. Namely "Available Reserved Space", which measures the "secondary" data cells used when the primary ones wear (a good indicator of how much life may be left), as well as a "Media Wearout Indicator", whose name should be very intuitive.  

Yes. As long as the drive provides the information via SMART. And a lot of the modern SSD include a "health" attribute of some sort which we monitor.

For instance, my OCZ Vertex 4 has some of the standard "wear" indicators (such as "reallocated sector count", and "Read Error Rate"). But it has a couple of specific attributes. Namely "Available Reserved Space", which measures the "secondary" data cells used when the primary ones wear (a good indicator of how much life may be left), as well as a "Media Wearout Indicator", whose name should be very intuitive.  

Thank you for the elaborate answer :)

You are very welcome. I tried to be very thorough when I answer. And I'm glad it's appreciated. I've always hated the simple, short "yes"/"no" answers.

And if you're curious, the "media wearout indicator" stat on my server's SSD (system drive) (which is roughly a year old, and has had several installs onto it) is at "97%", so it's got a long time left, theoretically.

You are very welcome. I tried to be very thorough when I answer. And I'm glad it's appreciated. I've always hated the simple, short "yes"/"no" answers.

And if you're curious, the "media wearout indicator" stat on my server's SSD (system drive) (which is roughly a year old, and has had several installs onto it) is at "97%", so it's got a long time left, theoretically.

I know how you feel ;) Personally I believe in credit where it is due...

The new disk I put in has 100% remaining of it's life, we'll see how it goes when (if?) I start using it as a feederdisk for DrivePool as well :)

Yeah, that will definitely wear the disk out rather fast. But that 97% is after ~220 days of running it as the system drive.

On my desktop, I have the same SSD (Newegg screwed up), running for ~160 days as well, with the wear at 99%.  

Both of these are system disks. But I try to not install anything to the SSDs.

Also, if you're using duplication, you'll want two feeder disks.