Drive removal Issue v2.0.0.387 BETA

kihimcarr

Question

I have been attempting to remove 2 2TB drives from my pool of 24 drives. I was able to successfully remove one after cancelling the process several times and rebooting my server. The issue I am having is the progress bar displays "Removing drive..." for hours without showing a % of the removal progress which leads me to believe the drive is not in fact being removed. I have already rebooted the server a couple times tried the force drive removal option to no avail. I always choose to duplicate later to speed up the removal process. Is this normal or is something wrong? Has anyone else experienced this using this version of DrivePool?

I didn't notice this problem in v2.0.0.355 BETA

Thanks in advance for any input.

8 answers to this question

kihimcarr,

Is it actually moving any of the data off of the drive?

Also, if you clear the drive off first, does it have issues as well? 

(Use the "File Placement Limiter" balancer and uncheck "duplicated" and "unduplicated" for the drive in question).

Thanks for the reply, drashna. I restarted the process last night after a reboot and woke up this morning and the progress indicator is showing 88% complete/removed. I'll do some more testing based on your suggestion above and let you know what my results are.

Also, will unchecking what you indicated above initiate an automatic removal of files off of a drive or is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks, again.

By unchecking the entries in the "File Placement Limiter", yes, it will move the files off of the drive. Automatically, if that's what the balancer is set to (how often it makes it's pass). I use this myself to remove disks from my pool, as I can just sit and let it do it's thing. And that way, disk removal should be very quick.

By unchecking the entries in the "File Placement Limiter", yes, it will move the files off of the drive. Automatically, if that's what the balancer is set to (how often it makes it's pass). I use this myself to remove disks from my pool, as I can just sit and let it do it's thing. And that way, disk removal should be very quick.

When you say "if that's what the balancer is set to" what do you mean? Simply unchecking a drive did not move the files off automatically in my case. Is there another setting I am missing? I have attached some screenshots.

post-500-0-94399800-1378524490_thumb.jpg post-500-0-88815100-1378524659_thumb.jpg

Set the "Automatic" balancing (in the first picture) to "Balance Immediately". (and ideally uncheck the "Not more often" option as well). That should automatically move the files off.

(both of those settings are in the first picture you attached.

That was the ticket! Appreciate the support. Do you usually leave your settings that way or do you only set it for drive removals only?

I only do the "file placement limiter" for removing the drives. And.. for drives that I know may be in less than perfect health, I leave the "duplicated" option checked, and uncheck the unduplicated option, that way if the drive *does* fail, I only lose duplicates, and not any "unique" content.

But I do leave the "balance immediate" options enabled. Though, I do have the "not more often than" enabled, as everything has "settled" properly and this helps prevent unnecessary activity.