Data & Drive Help

bman

Question

So one of my drives have apparently died. I am still looking into that and if data recovery is possible.

My question is how do I move forward.

How do I find out exactly what data was on the dead drive? It would seem even though duplication is off, most of my items are on different drives within the pool. So assuming I can't get that dead drive working or the data back, I need to know exactly what is lost...how the heck do I do that?

Example, I have a shows and movies folder. The shows seem to show that its on all of my drives, showing how much data for each drive for that specific show folder. So if that is the case, how do I know what exactly was on the dead drive?

10 answers to this question

Unfortunately, StableBit DrivePool doesn't keep a record of what was on the drive. We let the drive itself manage that (as NTFS is technically a database). 

What does this mean for you? 

Any duplicated data is completely fine, and should rebuild after you remove the disk from the pool (the missing disk, presumably). 

As for the unduplicated data, this is where it gets tricky/hairy.  Since we don't track what was in the pool, there isn't a good way to tell what was lost.   
If you are able to recover data from the drive, you can copy that back into the pool, and that may rebuild what you had. If you have a backup of the data, the same can be done (though, much simpler). 

Aside from that, there are a lot of "inventory" systems for indexing and cataloging your data. There are several for TV shows, depending on how that's setup on your system. There are a few indexing/download apps for TV shows that may do a very good job of this, in fact.

Aside from that, I can give you suggestions for ways to mitigate this in the future, but that's about it.

Sorry.

If I can recover the data, how do I get it back onto the pool.

Do I remove the missing drive now or after?

Do I add the new drive with that data already put onto it (the recovered data), or add new drive to pool then add data?

What other steps should I know about?

Also, say the data I recover isn't actually what is needed, maybe its only part of the data or something else, what happens then when added to the pool? How do I know.

Side note, I was just pointed out something about my setup.

Most of my data, 18.5TB is being shown in Other. Which I am now told means its not part of the pool? I don't understand that, if its part on all my drives, and shows up as one single drive, then Stablebit is doing what its supposed to and is part of the pool is it not?

It depends on how you recover the data. 

If you're able to recover the partition and the data on it, then it may "just work".  Otherwise, you'd need to figure out what files go where... and just move them into the pool drive directly.  This may require more work, depending on your folder structure and system setup.

As for removing the drive, either. I would recommend now, that way the pool will check the pool and reduplicate files as needed while you're running the recovery.

As for adding the new drive, it depends. Basically, the above applies here. But if it's in the "proper" folder structure, or if it's recovered data and not sharing the same folder structure as the pool, you could "seed" the pool:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

But to clarify, if you add the disk to the pool, the data on it won't be part of the pool. It will be outside of it. That's ... probably best depending on how the data was recovered. This way, you can go through and identify the data.  

As for the "Other" data... if you still have a missing disk, it may show the entire pool as unmeasured until the missing disk is resolved. It should then recheck the pool.  If not, click on Pool Options and select the "Remeasure" option.

I think your only option is going to be the hope that data recovery software will be able to at least scrape filenames, if not recover the actual files.

I'd recommend Recuva64, I've used this successfully in the past, and it's free.

FWIW I'd like something in Drivepool to dump a list of files to a handy format, eg html once a month or at the click of a button. I've now built my own using a crude batch file that I'll just update monthly or so but it would be nice to have a built in feature.

For example, I'd like to know what in my drivepool isn't duplicated. Sure I know what folders aren't but that isn't enough granularity for me. I understand that this might be considered outside of the scope of Drivepool though.

Yeah, data recovery is most likely the best option here. 

FWIW I'd like something in Drivepool to dump a list of files to a handy format, eg html once a month or at the click of a button. I've now built my own using a crude batch file that I'll just update monthly or so but it would be nice to have a built in feature.

For example, I'd like to know what in my drivepool isn't duplicated. Sure I know what folders aren't but that isn't enough granularity for me. I understand that this might be considered outside of the scope of Drivepool though.

I'm not sure if you have seen this yet, then:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1587-check-pool-fileparts/

It sounds like EXACTLY what you're looking for (not HTML, but scriptable, and a lot of information, can be piped to a text file)

Sadly, the drive was not recoverable.

There was a tool I found that finds all missing/unavailable items in Plex, so I know what is missing now at least.

I just removed the dead drive from the pool, added a new drive, and its now Balancing. So in the end we will see what I get.

Yeah, data recovery is most likely the best option here. 

I'm not sure if you have seen this yet, then:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1587-check-pool-fileparts/

It sounds like EXACTLY what you're looking for (not HTML, but scriptable, and a lot of information, can be piped to a text file)

It does sound like what I'm after. Now to try and automate a process to convert it to html...

While I am here...

What is "Other" anyways? At least in terms of normal use, you have Unduplicated, duplicated, other and unusable for duplication.

Check this thread:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/37-faq-unduplicated-vs-duplicated-vs-other-vs-unusable/

This specifically goes over what the data is.  But basically, it's any data outside of the pool, or any discrepencies in size.... and in some cases, files that are in us (such as seeding torrents).

It does sound like what I'm after. Now to try and automate a process to convert it to html...

Out of curiousity, why HTML?

As for automating it, the built in Task Scheduler. It works great for things like this. You could write a simple batch file, or just outright call the command there.