Corrupt pool / disk

Bic

Question

I am running Windows 2012R2, and I have 4 * 3 TB drives in a pool, with 2 * data duplication set.

On Sunday I woke up to an alert from Scanner saying I had a bad disk. The GUI showed that the overnight (monthly) scan had detected a bad sector on one of my disks. I ran the file identify / recovery tool, and that said no files were affected. I then marked all the sectors on the disk as unchecked, and started a scan again, and this time all completed ok. I assumed that either there wasn’t really a bad sector, or that the disk had auto re-mapped it, however the SMART info doesn’t show any remaps.

All was ok until this morning, I woke to several errors from my overnight file copy backups. I seems that they wasn’t able to write to several folders on the pool. I checked for a few of the folders by looking in the hidden pool folders and that showed that (for the few I checked) one of the duplicated copies were on the same disk that I had issues with on Sunday. When I tried to open folders / files (sometimes at the top level, sometimes several sub folders down) I got  “G:\PoolPart….etc…etc...   The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error”.

Scanner shows the disk as ok, and it’s on-line etc in windows Device manager. I tried creating a folder and file on the disk outside of Drivepool, and that worked ok. I tried a chkdsk but that came back “the type of file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drive”.

So, something not right, but now how best to proceed. Thinking a server re-boot will either sort, or will totally take the disk down. Wondering if it’s worth removing the disk from the pool first, but if I do that will Drivepool then re-duplicated data that is now not duplicated, and how will it handle the fact that it seems data isn’t readable.

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

So, I tried to remove the drive, I selected remove, and then left the 2 tick boxes blank, but it came up with Error Removing Drive, and clicking on Error Details comes up with "The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error". So I tried again with the Force damaged driver removal and duplicate files later check boxes selected, but got the same.

Went into Windows Device Manager, and selected a Rescan, this showed 2 of the disks as "Not initialized", I then did a Rescan Disks, and this now doesn't show them as all.

The disks are attached to a M1015 card in IT mode, and the Windows GUI for that is showing 4 disks, however 2 are showing a lack of info such as size and serial number.

Going to have to reboot to see what I get, and maybe reseat disks / cables, etc.

Bic,

I'm very sorry to hear about the drive.  

As for the "disappearing" sector, it could have been a fluke (such as an intermittent drive controller issue), or it could have been "fixed" (remapping isn't always necessary, when you write to the sector, the drive may actually fix the issue and continue using it). 

Rebooting would be the best option here. If it continues to "act up", try moving where it's connected to (either a different "port" on the card, or to a different controller, such as onboard).  If the problem persists, this is likely a defect with the circuit board on the drive. And in that case, I'm very sorry to hear that. 

If all the data on the drive was duplicated, the best option here may be to just physically "pull" the drive and remove the now missing disk from the pool. This will cause StableBit DrivePool to recheck the pool and reduplicate files as needed.

Thanks,

I rebooted the server, and watched it come up. The M1015 BIOS showed all 4 disks, and the "details" for them. Then when windows came up all the 4 disk were showing in "My Computer", and also in DrivePool.

DrivePool did a re-duplication, and it came across 1 file that it said was different between 2 disks, so I told it to fix.

So, will just have to wait and see what happens over the next hours / days / months. Not sure why Scanner didn't pick up any issues, I did get a "missing" disks error from it, but that was only after I did a disk re-scan in Device manager last night, and that's when they "disappeared" from windows.

Well, glad to hear that everything seems to have settled down.

As for StableBit Scanner, unforutnatley, it doesn't catch all issues. It monitors the SMART data, and that is depending on the firmware working properly (and SMART data is mainly mechanical issues).  Additionally, the surface scan detects sectors that are having issues reading, and it can detect controller issues in some cases (if you suspect that a disk is good and it's coming up damaged, run the "Burst test", as this will confirm if there is a communication issue, which can generate false damage in the surface scan).