DrivePool Error on reboot - 0x8000FFFF Catastrophic failure

Mozy

Question

I'm hoping someone can help me with this one... Pool is on a 6-drive USB 3.2 TerraMaster JBOD. Drives are all Seagate X18 18TB(4x) 20TB(2x)

I keep getting this error after I reboot my Win11 pc and I go to my DrivePool and try to create a new folder or copy new data. 

Error 0x8000FFFF Catastrophic failure

Or I get a protected, permissions, or read only notifications.

I have done the permissions fix suggestion here (Q5510455).

Also, Scanner and CryalMark Disk Info show no S.M.A.R.T. errors or warnings. Reading data is fine.

What's really weird is I can fix this issue when I go to the DrivePool app, tell it to remove a drive that has nothing on it, and surprisingly nothing happens.

The drive is still in the pool and space stays the same.

Even more surprising is then when I go back to the DrivePool drive, and I can now use it like normal. Create folders and moving data like normal, and the pool capacity is the same.

This works until I reboot, then I have to do these steps again.

I'm very confused as to why I keep getting this error after a reboot, and why doing the steps listed is restoring functionality.

3 answers to this question

After a reboot, does manually creating a new folder or copying new data into each of the hidden poolpart folders cause the error on any drive(s), or is it only when creating/copying in the virtual pool drive?

Do you have particularly-paranoid antivirus software, and does (temporarily) disabling and/or uninstalling it make the problem disappear?

P.S. I've found that Q5510455 can fix most NTFS permission errors but unfortunately there are still a few it won't. See here for an alternative, more thorough method.

Great question!

After reboot, I can create folders and copy data into the hidden poolpart folders, and the direct drive.

The virtual pool drive is the issue, and I have to do the steps above to unlock.

I'll take a look at the tool you suggested, thanks.

I wonder why the virtual drive is locking up?