Is seeding process a must ? (drag dropping to pool part folder)

PJay

Question

Hello guys I'm new to drive pool !

I've just made a pool and now I need to copy the datas now (from the same drive)

and it seems like I have 2 choices

One to just copy and paste my datas to pool drive (will take lot of time)

Two just drag and drop to hidden pool part folder (almost instantly)

I've take a look a bit here and it seems most of people are using the first method (maybe its safer ?)

by testing myself with dummy files, 2nd method is working well 

but I am curious if something bad would happen in the future lol

also I found this manual

https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

it seems this should be followed when using the 2nd method

but I want to know why.

because without stopping and restarting the service 

everything just looks ok ...

thanks in advance !

8 answers to this question

If the content I want to put into the pool is already on one of the drives (about to be) in the pool, I prefer to (add the drive and) manually move the content into the poolpart. As you noted, it's almost instant.

One thing I do to reduce any risk of accidentally conflicting files or folders across poolparts is to create a unique folder to move the content into; e.g. if I have a pool "P:\" then - after I've stopped the service - I create a unique folder in the poolpart (e.g. "D:\poolpart.xyz\123" where there wasn't previously a "P:\123") and move what I want into that unique folder - then I can start the service back up and remeasure, and any further moving can be done via the pool rather than the poolpart; I don't even have to wait for the remeasure to finish).

Moving the files into the poolpart while the service is stopped prevents any risk of DrivePool attempting to move the files while you're moving the files.

Personally I haven't found it necessary to reset DrivePool's settings afterwards, as per the KB article, instead just using Manage Pool -> Re-measure afterwards (and if I'm using duplication, making sure that is appropriately set for the new folders and then Troubleshooting -> Recheck Duplication afterwards), but your mileage may vary.

Thank you now I see why we should stop the service before dropping the folders

+According to your answer 

Personally I haven't found it necessary

Apparently you've also tried to manually dropping the files and folders inside the hidden the pool part folder

Do you prefer using that method or copying to the pool drive ? 

That's the nice trick thank you !

So the best way of manually drag & dropping to poolpart is

1.stop the service

2.create a unique non-conflicting folder that doesn't have the same name in across every drives in pool

3.drag and drop there

4.restart the service

5.re-measure  

just this right ? 

and additionaly if I use duplication option 

I do this extra step Troubleshooting -> Recheck Duplication at the top of the toolbar

I am following your method suggested now and I've been doing well until restarting the service. But however, when I restarted the service and launched the stablebit drivepool software, as soon as the software starts, it is auto-starting the measure process automatically.

(I haven't clicked the re-measure option which is inside the "manage pool" but it started itself)

is it normal ? or should I re-measure again manually one more time when this auto-re measure finishes ?