uTorrent and folder junctions to the pool

cryodream

Question

Basically, what I used to do with uTorrent before trying drivepool:
This applies only to folder, not single file downloads. I had one folder somewhere, let's call it "Torrent_Junctions". In that folder I created junctions to various other folders on various drives in my server. This way, it did not matter, where the downloaded files finally reside, I can even move them from place to place, I can easily rename the folder where files are located, and all I need to do is replace the junction in the "Torrent_Junctions" folder. And all this time uTorrent is able to seed, where ever these files are. Anyway, I found this was the easiest way to deal with this. Example:

• I have a folder, eg: D:\Torrent_Junctions
  • uTorrent finishes a download, eg: D:\Torrent_Junctions\The.Best.Series.Evah.S01.720p.Bluray.x264-ZeGroup
  • Stop the torrent in uTorrent.
  • Move the files to, eg: K:\TVShows\The.Best.Series.Evah\Season01
  • Create junction from K:\TVShows\The.Best.Series.Evah\Season01 to D:\Torrent_Junctions\The.Best.Series.Evah.S01.720p.Bluray.x264-ZeGroup
  • Resume the torrent in uTorrent. Voila. uTorrent just keeps happily seeding.

I've read on the forums, that folder junctions are supported by the DrivePool. Some questions:

• Is it OK to keep doing this, but making junctions outside the pool, that point to the folders that are on the pool? eg: disk D is not in the pool, and the junction: D:\Torrent_Junctions\Something that points to P:\DrivePool\Whatever\SomeFolderOnThePool. Will that be alright with drivepool? No funky business?
  • How about uTorrent locking folders and files, if seeding at the time, when drivepool wants to balance, etc? Will that create constant problems?
  • Will this work if using duplication? I mean, the junction points to the folder on the pool, which is duplicated. As I understand uTorrent should be oblivious about duplication, that's the magic that is drivepool, isin't it?
  • Would it be considerably "safer" to point uTorrent straight to the folder on the pool, instead of using junctions?
  • Or should I better off playing safe and not pointing uTorrent to anything on the pool at all? I mean to avoid many folders and files being locked by uTorrent, when drivepool needs to rebalance and move stuff around?

1 answer to this question

There "shouldn't" be any issues with doing so. .... 

However, one issue I've found that moving files from one folder to another on the same "disk". .... it keeps the permissions from the original location. This may not be what you want. 

In this case, I would recommend downloading the files to a specific "temp" drive, and then use something else to "process" and move the files to the destination in the pool.  (for instance, Sickbeard or Sonarr/NZB.Drone).  This way, you avoid the permissions issues that may pop up.

And to clarify, there should be no issue with pointing uTorrent to the Pool directly. For locked/option files.... the real time duplication feature writes all files/modifications in parallel, so there shouldn't be an issue with downloading to or seeding from the pool. Though, any locked file may show up as "other" until the file is unlocked.