Removing damaged drive for the second time triggers BSOD

denywinarto

Question

DP version : 2.21162

Hi, just wondering, since my version, would there be a fix that mitigates this issue?

So I have this 12tb with bad sectors, i removed it overnight then it seems to stuck at 90%

Tried stopping removal process but after 20 min it doesn't stop

Then I searched for files in that drive and delete them manually, DP still stuck, so I stopped removal process, it finally stops.

Tried removing the drive again in DP.

But not long after that BSOD kicks in. Which is making me anxious cause I have alot of drives in my machine.

Should i update to the latest version to prevent this?

All 3 options are checked before removing the drive.

10 answers to this question

Updating shouldn't make things worse but if the drive's at the point where it's generating BSODs then I doubt updating would make things any better either.

Personally I'd physically remove the drive from the server altogether (it'd then show up as a "missing" drive in DrivePool and can be safely removed from there); if I still needed to (try to) get any remaining data off the bad drive I'd use a separate test machine so any further BSODs wouldn't interfere with the server.

43 minutes ago, Shane said:

Updating shouldn't make things worse but if the drive's at the point where it's generating BSODs then I doubt updating would make things any better either.

Personally I'd physically remove the drive from the server altogether (it'd then show up as a "missing" drive in DrivePool and can be safely removed from there); if I still needed to (try to) get any remaining data off the bad drive I'd use a separate test machine so any further BSODs wouldn't interfere with the server.

Is there any software method to temporarily prevent DP from writing to the bad drive?
I'd need to prepare a maintenance time but in the meantime I dont want anything gets written to it, maybe renaming the poolpart or something? 

But if it's not safe and causes BSOD then it makes no difference i guess

Try the following command from a command prompt run as an administrator where pooldriveletter is the drive letter of the pool itself and poolpartname is the hidden folder beginning with "PoolPart." on the bad drive:

dpcmd ignore-poolpart pooldriveletter: poolpartname

This should tag the relevant poolpart to be ignored by DrivePool at the system level, which will effectively make it "missing" as far as the pool is concerned; the pool will become read-only until this is reversed or the "missing" drive is removed from the pool - which you should be able to immediately do as DrivePool should treat it just like removing any actually-missing drive and drop it without attempting to retrieve anything from it.

7 minutes ago, Shane said:

Try the following command from a command prompt run as an administrator where pooldriveletter is the drive letter of the pool itself and poolpartname is the hidden folder beginning with "PoolPart." on the bad drive:

dpcmd ignore-poolpart pooldriveletter: poolpartname

This should tag the relevant poolpart to be ignored by DrivePool at the system level, which will effectively make it "missing" as far as the pool is concerned; the pool will become read-only until this is reversed or the "missing" drive is removed from the pool - which you should be able to immediately do as DrivePool will treat it just like removing any actually missing drive and drop it without attempting to retrieve anything from it.

C:\Users\Administrator>dpcmd ignore-poolpart HGST_41_12TB_8DH24RYH: PoolPart.654e1b5c-05b8-44a2-8b6b-a0251f2ec7d6

dpcmd - StableBit DrivePool command line interface

Version 2.2.4.1162

Error: Can't open handle to volume.

I am not using alphabet as volume though, do i need different syntax? Complete path to folder doesn't work either

C:\Users\Administrator>dpcmd ignore-poolpart C:\Drivepool\HGST_41_12TB_8DH24RYH: PoolPart.654e1b5c-05b8-44a2-8b6b-a0251f2ec7d6

dpcmd - StableBit DrivePool command line interface

Version 2.2.4.1162

Error: Can't open handle to volume.

C:\Users\Administrator>

Hmm. Just checking, you are using the pool's drive letter and not the bad drive's letter, confirm? If the pool itself is mounted as a path (e.g. "c:\mounts\poolP") instead of a drive letter (e.g. "p:"), try the path. If it's not mounted as either a path or a letter, try mounting it as either first and use whatever you've assigned.

5 minutes ago, Shane said:

Hmm. Just checking, you are using the pool's drive letter and not the bad drive's letter, quiaff? If the pool itself is mounted as a path (e.g. "c:\mounts\poolP") instead of a drive letter (e.g. "p:"), try the path. If it's not mounted at as either a path or a letter, try mounting it as either first and use whatever you've assigned.

Complete path doesn't work either, i have edited my post above, the complete path to pool is like this :

I'm mounting it as folder

C:\Drivepool\HGST_41_12TB_8DH24RYH\PoolPart.654e1b5c-05b8-44a2-8b6b-a0251f2ec7d6

4 minutes ago, Shane said:

In the DrivePool GUI, at the very top where it lists your pool(s) - NOT the Disks section below that - what is the string inside the first set of parentheses?

E.g. on mine: "DrivePool (P:\) - (39.1 TB)"

Ah it's DrivePool (N:\), So this is what i should use? don't wanna screw my installation

Yes, that's the pool drive letter. So if the hidden poolpart folder in the root of your bad drive is named "PoolPart.654e1b5c-05b8-44a2-8b6b-a0251f2ec7d6" then the command you would use to tag that particular poolpart to be ignored would be:

dpcmd ignore-poolpart n: PoolPart.654e1b5c-05b8-44a2-8b6b-a0251f2ec7d6