Questions before I install

Valentine

Question

Before I jump in I have a few questions.

My Story:

I plan on using this with my HTPC. I am using three WD Mybooks and I would like to pool it into one drive for ease of use and software reasons. For years I have been using PooliT from Tiger Technology and Windows XP and then Vista. My HTP finally died so I got a new system. I have Windows 8.1 and I install PooliT I am now getting Kernal Mode Errors every time I try to access the pooled drive. Never had this before and I think it might be the PooliT software since I can access my external drives individually when I remove them from the pool.

My Questions:

Will DrivePool allow me to look at the contents of my pooled drive through Windows explorer?

Will I lose my data when pooling the drives together? I looked at Windows Storage and that will format the drives when pooled together. (I have 8TB of movies and TV shows and I don't feel like spending several months re-ripping everything).

Thank you all in advance.

4 answers to this question

Well, I'm sorry to hear about PoolIt's driver is causing issues!

As for StableBit DrivePool, when you add a disk to the pool, it doesn't touch the existing contents of the disk. It leave it there so you can continue to use the disk as you were before, and use it for the pool. 

And once you've created a pool, it shows up in Explorer as a normal drive, listing the pooled contents.

However, it doesn't automatically add the contents of the drive to the pool. If you want to do that, you do need to do that manually. And anything outside of the pool "folder structure" is not listed in the pool. 

And we do have a guide for how to "seed" the pool, actually:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

Though, if you want, we can set up a remote support session and assist you with this. 

Thank you both so very much. I followed the guide and so far so good. I am using the 30 day trial and hopefully it has solved my issues. It appears to have, but I don't want to jump the gun. Thank you both again. You have been very helpful.