Can I steer files over/under a given size to certain drives in the pool? (resolved)

dfleiss

Question

My pool includes both physical drives (HDDs) and online storage (managed by StableBit CloudDrive). My storage provider limits files to 5GB. I see that DrivePool will let me set up File Placement rules based on the file name, but is there any way to set up a File Placement rule to save only files smaller than 5G to the online "drive" in the pool, never bigger files?

Thank you.

Edited by dfleiss
mark resolved

2 answers to this question

File Placement operates at a real-time level below that which would allow seeing the size of files, but if you're using CloudDrive then as I understood it (normally) its chunking system should automatically take care of the problem you're worried about as CloudDrive drives normally exist on the remote cloud storage service as a series of small files (chunks).

So for example if you had a 50GB CloudDrive drive that was created using 10MB chunks it would normally exist on the cloud storage as a collection of up to (approximately) fifty thousand chunks (files), and if you copied a 10GB file to it, that 10GB file should be broken up into one thousand 10MB chunks to be uploaded to the cloud service (again, this is approximate). If you hover the mouse cursor over an existing CloudDrive drive's size in the CloudDrive it should show a tooltip indicating the drive's chunk size.

Have you run into problems uploading files larger than 5GB via the CloudDrive?

Incidentally I believe that the Balancer plugin system might be capable of doing what you wanted for existing files (i.e. see the size of files that are already in the pool and move them accordingly) but someone would have to code a new Balancer plugin to make use of that.