Server locked up, after reboot I now have drives marked Damaged?

hansolo77

Question

Sorry I keep posting new topics, but I'm really having a hard time with Scanner!

I was doing a manual scan of all my drives.  It had already automatically scanned the file systems and everything was fine.  Then I initiated the manual scan.  It completed on 5 of my drives, hadn't started on 4 of them, and 3 of them are now marked as damaged.  I think the server triggered a backup of my client I was using at the time, and the system couldn't handle any more multitasking.  It just froze up completely.  I was able to remote desktop in, but I couldn't get the dashboard to re-open so I told it to reboot the whole system.  When it came back up, everything in Scanner is reporting I have bad sectors and damaged files.  I tried to do a 'recover' and it just made a copy of the files where I told it to.  That was good, because I don't think DrivePool had completely finished duplicating.  However, now I still have bad 'sectors'.  I'm pretty confident the sectors are fine, it's just the program lost track of where it was and is throwing up an error.

Is there anything I can do without starting over again?  I had this happen before when I was playing around with it (before I had the right installer).  The only way I could fix it was by doing a complete removal of the program and all the left over files.

5 answers to this question

Never mind, I think I fixed it.  I found a drop down window that displayed the surface blocks (with some red ones).  In that menu was a sub-menu where I selected "mark unreadable sectors as unchecked".  I then engaged the option to start the check, and if came back clean.  Not very intuitive, but it worked.

If that's the case, and the bad sectors "went away", then it really sounds like the controller card (or chipset) got overwhelmed, and crashed.  

Which is definitely not a good thing.

Also, normally, Stablebit Scanner should scan one disk at a time, and should throttle or even pause the scan, based on disk activity. So if it continues to have issues like this, please do let us know.

Regards

Actually, without modifying any of the settings, especially in the advanced area, I found that the initial surface scan was done in parallel with ALL drives at once.  I think that was partly why it was taking so long, because DrivePool was also actively scanning the drives to verify duplication.  I'll double check the settings, but I'm pretty sure the only things I changed were the maximum temp reading on one drive because it doesn't get much air (see other post), and then maybe some tweaks to the "location" aspects.

Well, by default, unless you explicitly change the advanced settings, it should only scan one disk PER controller at a time.  If you have multiple controllers, it can scan more disks at the same time.

You can check what drives are connected to what controller, by click on the column header in the main UI and selecting the "By Controller" option. 

Additionally, depending on the Throttling settings, it shouldn't scan while there is activity on the disk, or when there is activity on the same controller.

http://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Throttling