USB drive turned GPT protected after power outage

dslabbekoorn

Question

I had a massive power outage & surge here due to a storm and when the server came back up the 3TB drive in a USB enclosure (Sabrent) showed as GPT Protected Partition and alot of un-allocated  space.  Unable to access or be seen by Drivepool or windows & you can't touch it.  Putting it back into the malfunctioning enclosure & it works fine and is seen by all.  Only problem is the drive runs full tilt all the time and overheats (passive cooling in the "working" enclosure)  How do I go about removing the drive from the pool and then making it usable in the new enclosure to re-partition and reformat?  The drive is locked (GPT protected partition) by any other method of connecting it to the computer.  Just don't want to lose 2+ TB of data or my hard drive.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

2 answers to this question

Went for it & it worked.  Put the drive back in the bad enclosure & sure enough there it was on restart.  Let Drivepool settle down then removed the drive from the pool with duplication later.  Took 2.5 hours to remove a 3TB drive.  Powered down put it in the new enclosure (with fan) & used Mini tool Partition Wizard free to re-partition & reformat. Added it back to Drivepool & its balancing away.  I'm out one cheap enclosure & not a $100 drive or 2.5TB of data.  No short way around I could see, took most of a Saturday afternoon while I watched my college team get pummeled.  But that's another story.  Hope this helps out someone who swaps USB enclosures or moves a drive to internal get out of jam & get their data back.  Found an old post where Christopher made a suggestion to a poor soul with the same problem as me, worked both times, so thanks Chris for helping without even seeing this post.