Data categorised as Other not Unduplicated

chrish16

Question

Hi

I've added 3 drives into a pool.  The pool has letter K.  I copied some movies into the drive K. DrivePool graph is categorising these as Other and not Unduplicated.

Before posting this, I've just tried copying files to a folder I marked as duplicated and in the graph in DrivePool its also categorised those as Other.

Am I doing something wrong?

8 answers to this question

It doesn't immediately remeasure data, so it can take a bit, unless you start it manually.

To start it manually, hit the little arrow near the pool's pie charge (bottom right corner of that section), and there is a "Re-measure" entry. Hit that. It may take a while depending on what is in the pool, but after that, it should get it.

It depends on the file distribution, how much free space each hard drive has, and the balancer settings for the pool.

And the specific section that Doug is referring to is this:

• Notice that there is some disk space that is Unusable for duplication. This is because the limits that we've set up have violated the optimal use of free space for duplicated files (see example earlier). We can resolve this by moving the Duplication Space Optimizer balancer above the File Placement Limiter balancer in terms of priority. But if we do this the limits that we have set up might be broken in order to optimize the pool.

(from the http://blog.covecube.com/2012/08/stablebit-drivepool-1-2-beta/ post)

In real world situation what does that mean, can you give an example please?

I've got 1 2tb drive and 2 1tb drives.  I'm guessing my disks wouldn't be optimally balanced but they would balance out with the same percentage of free space, just the 2tb having more data than the 1tb drives?

The link has a pretty good explanation of this actually. Much more eloquently that I could put it.

Duplication Space Optimizer Example

Consider that you have 1 hard drive part of the pool, a 1 TB drive:

Diagram1-300x33.png

You fill it up to capacity. Then you decide to add another hard drive to the pool, a 2 TB drive:

Diagram2-300x66.png

Now that you have a 3 TB pool with 2 drives you decide to store some duplicated files on it. But in fact, with the current file distribution, you can only store 10 GB worth of duplicated files on the pool. That’s because every duplicated file needs to be on 2 separate physical hard drives, but there is only 10 GB free of the first drive.

The solution is to move all the pooled files from the first drive onto the second drive. Which would end up looking like this:

Diagram3-300x66.png

Now you can store 1 TB of duplicated files on the pool.

This particular file placement optimization is the job of the 
Duplication Space Optimizer

DrivePool_Balancing_Duplication_Space_Op

DrivePool 1.2 – Duplication Space Optimizer

It has no settings to tweak because it’s fully automatic. It calculates if your current file distribution is not the optimal layout for duplicated files, and figures out which files need to get moved where in order to optimize the pool for duplicated file placement.

The duplication space optimizer handles the above scenario and many more that are much more complicated. It uses some proprietary algorithms to examine any number of hard drives with any combination of duplicated, un-duplicated and un-pooled files on them in order to compute an optimal balancing model. It balances files only when needed and only what’s needed.

But basically, it's space that the pool can't or won't use, based on the rules enabled for the balancers, and the space available on the drives.