Balancing Cloud Drives in an attempt to remove Google from the Pool

Gurrman

Question

Hi All, 

I've had the dreaded the Google Pool Exceeded error recently, so am offloading to another cloud provider dropbox, had 60ish TB and to avoid having to copy between two seperate drives without down time, I added the 3 separate Accounts with SB clouddrive to the pool. i've set the GDrive to not accept unduplicated files, and setup balancing to run between them, annoyingly it seems to be targeting Drive 1 in the pool and offloading 10TB at once to it, but not touching the other drives, would be good if balancing could write to all 3 other pooled drives at once, at the moment its super slow, avging around 150-235mbit to the one drive but have 2 other not getting hit at all. my connection is Multi GBit and appropriately wired within the home. 

How can I speed up the process, once the Gdrive has balanced, I plan to remove it, but until then just waiting and watching. once stable on the new provider will be buying more drives for my internal array and leave cloud behind till real unlimited plans come back again

Setup: 

GDrive one disk with 2 partitions - 55TB Each - Pooled for over two years. 

Dropbox 3 accounts, 1 Drive each, to total 3 drives added to the pool. 

Blancing has been given priority. 

Thanks All 

3 answers to this question

When intending to remove multiple drives I strongly recommend using the Drive Usage Limiter balancer (make sure it has priority over everything else except optionally the StableBit Scanner balancer if the latter is present) to empty all of the drives you wish to get rid of before you proceed to Remove them. While the latter is able to queue multiple drives for removal that function currently operates dumbly and may evacuate each drive to other drives waiting in the queue - so it can potentially waste enormous amounts of time and bandwidth.

As far as speeding up the automatic balancing itself, there's not really a way to make that go faster other than clicking on the Increase priority double-arrows adjacent to the Pool Organization bar if they're present (IMO it makes little difference if the pool is otherwise not in use but YMMV); for quicker results you'd have to turn balancing off and manually copy/move the data between the hidden poolparts in parallel yourself (being careful to avoid "crossing the streams" so to speak - it's safe if you know what you're doing but you're still proceeding at your own risk) and then perform a Re-measure afterwards.