Remote connection

mastoul

Question

Hello, I currently have 2 licenses of DrivePool and Scanner. The first is at my work pc and the second at my home server. I have a vpn to connect work and home, is it possible to control my home scanner and drivepool from work and vice versa?

Thanks

1 answer to this question

It can be fiddly but as long as they're on the same subnet then yes; see https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Remote Control Details - Scanner has the same file in C:\Program Files (x86)\StableBit\Scanner\Service instead.

TLDR:

1. Your user account that is connecting must also be a user on the remote computer, and that user must be part of the built-in Administrators group.
  2. Make sure both machines are running the same version of DrivePool/Scanner.
  3. Make sure the Remote Control option is ticked in the Cog icon settings menu of DrivePool on both machines, and in the Settings->Scanner settings for Scanner likewise.
  4. Make a copy of the RemoteControl.default.xml file in the relevant folders to Remotecontrol.xml in the same folder (it shouldn't matter but don't mix Scanner and DrivePool). You'll need Administrator access to do this.
  5. Restart the DrivePool and Scanner services on both machines and launch the relevant GUI.
  6. You should see your machine's name up the top of the GUI, click it to see if the other one has shown up. You may have to wait a little while and try again.

If the remote machine doesn't get discovered even after waiting, you can try editing the RemoteControl.xml file in the local folder to manually add the hostname or IPv4 address of the remote machine then restart the services again (note: a machine may then show up multiple times in the connection box, I think because once it's manually visible it can become discoverable as well). It can be tricky editing the file in its usual folder; alternatively move the file to your Desktop, edit/save it there, then move it back.