DrivePool and external drives (DrivePool is measuring them every time I switch them on - alternative solutions?)

Sacred

Question

Hi,
I use DrivePool to connect some external drives to a pool.
This works great, but unfortunately I have an issue with DrivePool that has been bothering me for a long time.

I don't always have the drives turned on, so it happens that when I turn them on
DrivePool measures (and checks) the pool almost every time I turn on the drives.
From my naive point of view, this is unnecessary, as I only use the drives in conjunction with DrivePool, and I'm looking for another solution, as I find the current procedure unnecessary.

Is there anything that can be done?

Many greetings

4 answers to this question

If on that PC you only use DrivePool with those drives - perhaps you could try changing the DrivePool service from Automatic to Manual, then only turn it on after you turn on the drives and turn it off before you turn off the drives. That way the service should never notice the drives are "missing" (because it wouldn't be while the service is running).

Maybe put a pair of shortcuts on your desktop to start and stop the service (maybe also to mount and dismount the drives) respectively?

Hi, great idea, that should work.

Btw do I need to set the DrivePool Shutdown Service also to Manual or is this irrelevant here?

And what do you mean with the part of mounting and dismounting the drives, I did not get this part?

I think you can leave the StableBit DrivePool Shutdown service as Automatic.

Re (un)mounting the drives, it's a reference to making sure the drives don't have anything remaining in the write cache before being physically turned off (e.g. via choosing the Eject option in the Windows system tray before physically pulling out a drive from the USB socket). I don't have such a script handy to do so, though.

After a few tests, my conclusion is unfortunately negative. In most cases, at least 1 hard disk has to be measured and then the entire pool has to be checked again.

Only very rarely was this not necessary, although I stopped both services manually.

I will have another look if unmounting the hard disks solves the problem, so far I could not notice any difference.

I would still like to see a software solution for this problem.