I/O error - trouble uploading data

Nyarly

Question

Hi,

I'm probably at the lower end of the supported internet bandwith (or below *cough*) with my DSL 16MBit down / 1MBit up, but I'm getting I/O errors with both tested providers (Box and Dropbox). Do I have to modify my configuration? And do you need more information to diagnose the problem?

Cheers!

P.S. Although both cloud drives are already mounted as folders in my DrivePool pool drive folder (as pool drives don't get a drive letter in my setup), I haven't added them to DrivePool yet.

post-1992-0-80521000-1432977814_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

Well, first I'm sorry to hear about the horrible internet bandwidth. :(

As for the errors, you will definitely want to modify the connection.

Open the UI, change to the drive in question, and click on "Drive Options".  Select the "Performance Options" entry.

See if decreasing the number of threads help.

If not, try tweaking the prefetching options. 

If that doesn't help, there are a bunch of advanced settings that may help here:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Advanced_Settings

Basically, you'd want to tweak with the entire IoManager section.

Try setting the HttpTimeoutMs to a higher value, set the retries to a higher value, increase the timeout for the "Abort" values, and lower the default connection limit.

After making these changes, reboot the system, and see if that helps.

Oh well. guess that me out.. my measly 1.2/0.35 won't cut it.... and yes you did read that right.. Broadband only in billing terms. :(

Ouch, I'm very sorry to hear that. :(

And you could still use the Local Disk and Network share providers for local access (such as a dedicated NAS box like Drobo or Synology, one one hooked up to your router).

Ouch, I'm very sorry to hear that. :(

And you could still use the Local Disk and Network share providers for local access (such as a dedicated NAS box like Drobo or Synology, one one hooked up to your router).

Yeah it is far from ideal... You have however just answered my question... I was wondering if I could re-purpose a no longer required Synology box which I could have located elsewhere but on network as a semi-offsite but not quite backup.

Thanks

Do you have ATT Uverse? My connection speed is below the minimum requirements as well 18/1.5Mbps. :(

No, I'm with Deutsche Telekom in Germany.

I've played with thread, http read/write/timeout and prefetch settings, but without further knowledge of what's happening in the background I'm lost, because the error messages stay the same. I'd really like to backup my most important stuff encrypted in the cloud, but for now I probably have to stick to the offline backup way.

Talking with Alex some about this (since i'm not as familiar with all of the ins and outs yet), there are a couple of things to tweak).

The threads are the number of parallel "IO" that happens on the CloudDrive.  

Try setting the write threads to 1, and the read to 2-5. 

And you're not having issues downloading (if you were, increase the size and time for the prefetcher).

Also, for the errors, you'll want to increase the value for these:

IoManager_HttpTimeoutMS 
IoManager_WriteRetries 
IoManager_WriteAbort

Increasing these will ... well, just increase the amount of time before we error out. However, that should help prevent as many errors from showing up in the UI. But may affect shutdown time of the service (and the system).

Hi Christopher,

thanks for your help. I increased the timeouts to 25s and retries to 25 in the config file. In the GUI, I set the write threads to 1 and read threads to 2. Now CloudDrive is steadily uploading at 1MBit/s! :-) I'll toy with the settings to see what's helping/hurting the most, but I already know that I can't increase the write threads, because I immediately get errors.

Cheers!