Just ran into some license weirdness

Jasper

Question

Just update the BIOS on my SM X8DT6-F and after booting back up DP told me I needed to transfer my license to the "New Machine". I proceeded it transfered normally and I;m back up and running. But it would be nice to know what triggers the anti piracy "features" in DP and other Covercube products.

PS - Absolutely nothing changed in this server except the BIOS.

I'd also like to add some forum weirdness. I tried to submit this thread and it told me I did not have permission. After backing up it showed me as not logged in even tho I was when I hit the submit button.

Something is rotten. :(

3 answers to this question

Yup, this is completely normal and expected in this case.

The BIOS information is part of what we use to identify the system.  When you change that, it will cause the licensing system to require you to "Transfer" the license to the new hardware. This just updates the information on our end, to make sure it's current.

http://beta.stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/Licensing

Q. Is license activation tied to the hardware in any way, and what happens if I upgrade my computer?
Yes. License activation uses various components in your system for identification. If a piece of hardware changes you will have the option of automatically transferring your license to a new system using the licensing wizard.
Licensing does not keep track of hardware that changes often, such as addon cards. It keeps track of more permanent things such as your motherboard.

As for the forum software, yeah, there is something up with it, since we upgraded to the most current version.

Also, giving the time frame, we were experiencing an issue and had rebooted the host that the site was on. This may have been the cause of issue you saw. If it happens again, let us know.