Best workflow for using multiple systems to access a sinlge Cloud Drive

Dnide

Question

So I'm looking to use CloudDrive with my work desktop and my home system. I understand that having multiple instances of CloudDrive connected to the same image would probably result in data-corruption, so "turning off" on system before "turning on" the other system would be the best course of action.

My question is if there was any suggested work flow for this sort of use-case? Like at the end of my work day, should I open up CloudDrive, click the gear icon, highlight 'All clouddrives' and select 'Pause Uploads' and undo the 'Pause Uploads' on my home system?

Is there an easier way to do this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3 answers to this question

Replace "probably result in data-corruption" with "certainly result in data-corruption". It's also not just a case of pausing one and unpausing the other; you have to use the Detach and Attach functions and it will want to complete any pending uploads in the cache. Personally I feel like attempting this on a regular daily basis could be a bad time waiting to happen if you accidently click past the warnings.

Instead consider setting up a VPN between home and work, and/or setting up an ownCloud server or similar, to provide remote access to whichever machine is going to be CloudDrive's "home base".

@Shane thanks for your input and the information that you provided. I didn't realize that pausing wasn't the same as detaching, but it does make sense to have the two different functions. Do you happen to know if there are any CLI commands that can be run to detach drives? I would love to write a simple script to do this for me.

I'm not aware of any CLI commands for CloudDrive besides the convert tool. The feature was planned way back but I believe that can was kicked indefinitely down the road in favor of working on other features and on DrivePool, Scanner, etc.