Balancers Working Incorrectly

tehseano

Question

So I've been using Drivepool for almost 10 years now, generally have zero issues. I currently have 24 pooled disks, 2 of which are SSD's that I use for the SSD optimizer. One is 500gb, the other 1TB. The archive drives range in size from 4TB to 14TB. I have them balanced by percentage, so its an even percentage across all disks. Recently out of the blue, changing no settings, One of my 14TB drives is only filling itself to 75% where as all the other drives are at 85.5%. On top of this, to which I think they are connected, both of my SSD cache's are 100% full. I've tried manually pulling the files off the ssd and moving them onto the drive thats not filling correctly, but they just get moved back. Again, I haven't changed any settings, the most I've done is add a few new disks but, the issue happened after that had already been sorted out (I believe) and I've never had an issue adding a disk prior to this. I don't use any placement rules, the only settings I've touched should all be shown here.

Here are my settings, let me know what might be causing this if anyone has any ideas?

This first picture was taken just after manually moving some files off Plex Cache SSD and onto 00-2-2-14TB drive, thats the only reason it isn't currently full.

ssds.png.cc8acf6fb3983c08a7ae5903ead47751.png

Next is the 14TB (00-2-2-14TB) drive shown here that is only filling to 75% and the others are all normal.

14tb-drive.png.cbb12cdcaa589073af8187a9ff952213.png

Here are my main balancing settings

settings.thumb.png.9a1e104320487b7d127fc72c247cefa8.png

Here is my balancing page for SS Scanner with top priority.

balancers_1.thumb.png.913b1eced5eed98601eb229a5545937b.png

And the next two are my All-In-One plug for balancers showing everything.

balancers_2.thumb.png.d9887383d245654033dc0a2de9a004ba.png

balancers_3.thumb.png.d1b42bb47032bf92719d134bd8f6b78d.png

I'm not sure what I'm missing. I've tried a few things, looked up a few posts that had similar but not the same issues, their solutions didn't work (like adjusting my main balance ratio to 100%, etc to trigger balances, but nothing). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry if I've overlooked something or not included something. Let me know what other information I can provide.

3 answers to this question

Hmm. Your settings look ok. What version of DrivePool do you have installed? What version of All In One?

Do you have real-time duplication turned off (Manage Pool -> Performance)?

Have you tried a Manage Pool -> Re-measure...? Since you manually moved files?

Have you tried running dpcmd refresh-all-poolparts from an administrator command prompt?

Have you tried turning off All In One, waited for DrivePool to recalculate its balancing, then turned All In One back on? If that didn't help, have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling the All In One plug in?

12 hours ago, Shane said:

Hmm. Your settings look ok. What version of DrivePool do you have installed? What version of All In One?

Do you have real-time duplication turned off (Manage Pool -> Performance)?

Have you tried a Manage Pool -> Re-measure...? Since you manually moved files?

Have you tried running dpcmd refresh-all-poolparts from an administrator command prompt?

Have you tried turning off All In One, waited for DrivePool to recalculate its balancing, then turned All In One back on? If that didn't help, have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling the All In One plug in?

1. Drivepool version 2.3.2.1493 > Just realized I was out of date and running 2.2.5.1237. I've got automatic updates enabled and have force checked updates in the program and never gotten anything, so was surprised seeing a newer version just now when manually looking, so I'm now up-to-date (64-bit).

2. All-In-One version 1.0.0.2

3. I have Real-time duplication currently enabled, should I turn it off? (I don't do any file duplication, I have a SnapRAID setup separately for that)

4. Yes I've re-measured many times, and it will see the extra space on the 14TB drive in question and just enforce the balance rule it thinks it needs to and bring it back down to the 75% area instead of matching the rest.

5. I just ran that cmd but, didn't seem to do anything.

6. None of those did anything

All that being said, in the process of checking everything you mentioned, I discovered that a scan got interrupted on that drive at some point and just wasn't notifying me of the smart warning that ended up triggering, which was a false positive, and causing new data not to be written to that drive. I reset the sectors in scanner, scanned it again, all clear, and voila, drivepool is back to working like normal. Thank you for sending me on the chase that did end up solving the issue. :-)