3X Duplication

willow7117

Question

I have data that I no longer have the source for and I'm getting a little OCD. I just wanted to clarify that if I use 3X duplication, Drivepool will ensure there are three copies of the data, and also copied to three separate physical disks (with the understanding that I do have at least three HDDs in the pool). Can someone help me with my growing OCD on this?

3 answers to this question

I have data that I no longer have the source for and I'm getting a little OCD. I just wanted to clarify that if I use 3X duplication, Drivepool will ensure there are three copies of the data, and also copied to three separate physical disks (with the understanding that I do have at least three HDDs in the pool). Can someone help me with my growing OCD on this?

Yes, absolutely.

If you have x3 duplication enabled, it means that you will have three copies of any given file (in that folder).

Additionally, the duplication code ensures that we NEVER place duplicates on the same physical disk (in the case of a disk with multiple partitions on it).  

And we do this because we want to make sure that a failed disk NEVER risks your data.

Additionally, this is part of why we don't support Dynamic disks currently. It's a LOT more complex to determine this with Dynamic Disks.