2.1.1.561 bug?

Thronic

Question

I recently changed Pool duplication to Folder duplication to save space. However, when deleting folders I will now randomly get an error with needing administrator access. This is over a network share. When I attempt to delete it on the server where it's actually set-up and stored, I get a similar error about needing owner access. After a few tries from both places it "kind of" seems to work, until it seems entirely deleted. But it's certainly buggy.

Another problem is my Plex Media Server that reads its libraries from the DrivePool. It's hosted on the same machine as DrivePool. It no longer picks up file changes automatically. This feels related, as it worked fine before. Very annoying and I NEED to find a solution to this soon. And would like to understand the problem better.

I've posted a question on the Plex forum as well about that particular problem, but I feel it's DrivePool related, so I have more hope here. 

Please assist. And don't be afraid to go into technical details.

4 answers to this question

If it's the race condition bug mentioned in the other thread I've commented on, then I can't see how that effects Plex for folder change detection, and if it's only affecting deletion of folders then I might survive until its in a final release than temporarily using BETA. Plex state they use "OS functionality" for it, and it has worked fine on my 2012 R2 server so far, until it suddenly doesn't. 

/scratch_head

I investigated the possiblity of "corrupted" folders from un-duplication further.. it bore fruit.

Plex has an internal service called LibraryUpdateManager that watches for changes inside the folders of media files. These folders were duplicated before with Pool duplication, I changed that about a week ago to 1x (no duplication) and then turned on Folder duplication on only selected folders (nothing relevant to Plex). 

I just regenerated these library folders and moved old content into them. Lo and behold, Plex now automatically detects file changes again. 

I think something happens when removing duplication on folders, that makes them somewhat invisible to changes inside of them again for the OS.

The delete issue was a bug with how we were handling that and is resolved in the beta builds.

As for the plex, that's very weird. I use plex on my system, and have everything duplicated actually. 

It does have some issues detecting changes right away, but that's usually resolved in an hour or so.  

If you continue to have this issue, please do let us know.