• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Icy Box IB-3810U3 JBOD + Drivepool

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AlexL

AlexL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

Hi, I am still looking to expand my storage and am wondering if anyone has any experience with this enclosure ?

I was aiming for a fanless/silent box but it would cost me far too much and I would settle for this unit instead. I would probably disconnect the fan as it's not going to get used to that extent that it does need it.

Also, will Scanner be of any help ? I am not sure I will be able to see SMART..

Thanks!

#2 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:17 PM

Not personally, no.

As for the fanless/silent thing, just keep in mind that housing a bunch of drives will cause it to get very warm, and very quickly.  

As for StableBit Scanner, it's hard to tell without testing first.  However, given that this is USB only from appearances, USB chipsets tend to be much more reliable about SMART data, so I don't foresee issues with the 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#3 AlexL

AlexL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

An update seems in order. It has dropped USB once and made my disks RAW because one of the drives is dead. I formated the disks with GPT now and checking scanners SMART as well to be sure. Stress testing all drives one by one doesnt seem to bring the interface down, so I guess it was just a timeout on the drive causing this.

Also, I will be replacing the 120mm fan, because that thing makes me dream of F35's! ;) 

#4 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

OUch, sorry to hear that. And formatting as GPT may help prevent that from happening again in the future.

Also, if the disk shows up as RAW, always try running a CHKDSK pass on it first. In many cases, this can repair the damage and return the disk to a working condition. 

As for sound, I can't hear you over my server rack and AC.  :)

But yeah, I definitely understand.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#5 AlexL

AlexL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

For posterity's sake:

So I have worked with this enclosure for quite some time without any hitch, achieving the max that my old drives can achieve (tested without drivepool, 50mb/sec).

Now for the box itself, you get it with 2 fans, one 140mm [placeholder for name and specs here] for the harddrives and a 80mm [placeholder for name and specs here] for the power supply, that had about 20 more dB output that I hated, living in an apartment and all.

So I replaced these with a "Noctua NF-P14s redux-900 140mm" where the installation without a hitch, and a "Noctua NF-R8 redux-1200 80mm" where I found that it could not be started without help, so I bought Y-cable connected to the 140mm as well (https://www.kjell.co...ar-3-pin-p98538) because the pin connector ON the PSU won't be able to drive my 80mm Noctua(!).

All in all, the sound level in my room went from 56.3 dB to 39.6 db, which is like a breeze for me. The HDD's are at a stable 26C even at high load under a long time, which makes me confident buying fan regulators from aliexpress..

Next up, I had to rename all drives "Icybox <drive bay> (<version of the drive>/<size>/USB version>)" to make sure I knew what to hotswap in the unlikely event ( :D ) that a disk goes nuts.  "version of the drive" to not confuse the disks if they are ever connected in the same computer...

Snapraid is installed, as well as Elucidate for the GUI, with 2 parity drives for my 10 disk array, one disk being same size as the biggest in the array. I ran this the first time, and plan on running it once the balancing is done. 

Speaking of fail-safe, I also run Duplication in DP for now, just for the piece of mind until I have fully tested the snapraid app in a recovery mode.

I have 2 SSDs for the RAID write cache. For this I installed SSD Optimizer but it didn't kick in until a restart.

Thanks!

A

• Christopher (Drashna) likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users