Keep file in subfolders

mcmurrayjackson

Question

I apologize if I didn't search enough, but I am coming off two full days of rebuilding my sever (twice w/ 50 XBMC resets) because of various issues and upgrades...so I'm tired.

Bit of background, two weeks ago, I had Unraid, which was great for the last six montx.  But I don't know linux and  I wanted to do more on my media server, so I looked in to a windows based solution.  I landed on Flexraid tRaid, but worked okay, but crapped out yesterday for no apparent reason.  After not being able to figure out how to fix it (I am usually pretty handy with google), I decided it was just too complicated of a solution for what I need.  

Enter Stablebit Drivepool, which I am LOVING so far.  Simple, elegant solution for my media server without so many complications that can lead to issues.  

One thing tRaid screwed up was my sub folder files.  Here is my folder system:

-Movies

--Movies

---Batman (1988)

----Batman (1988).mkv

----Poster.jpg

----Fanart.jpg

---Juno (2007)

----Juno (2007).mkv

----Poster.jpg

----Fanart.jpg

-TV

--TV Shows

---Friends

----Season 01

-----S01E01.mkv

So primary folders of "Movies" and "TV" and then subsequent subfolders holding movies and TV shows.  

On Unraid, you could set a level of file splitting.  For example, I have three drives in the pool.  I don't care if I have a primary Movies folder on each drive, containing various movies.  What I don't want is the actual movies' subfolder to get split up, which is what tRaid did.  I now have two Juno (2007) folders, one on Drive A with the .mkv file and the other on Drive B with the .jpg.

Same with TV Shows.  I don't want Friends Season 01 on Drive A and Season 02 on Drive B.  I don't mind if Friends is on Drive A and Southpark is on Drive B.

I am assuming I can do a rebalance to move all of the folders/files as much to the same drive as possible, which will fix the splitting tRaid did.  Is there a way to set it so I keep files on my subfolders on the same drive?

TL;DR - Is there a way to set a Split Level like on UnRaid?  Example

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

There is a simple and a complex way to do this.

The simple way is to use the "Ordered File Placement" balancer.

This fills up one (or two, when duplication is enabled) disk at a time. Also, it tries to keep the contents of a folder on the same disk.

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

The more complex way is to use the File Placement rules, and micromanage the folders:

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=File%20Placement

There is a simple and a complex way to do this.

The simple way is to use the "Ordered File Placement" balancer.

This fills up one (or two, when duplication is enabled) disk at a time. Also, it tries to keep the contents of a folder on the same disk.

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

The more complex way is to use the File Placement rules, and micromanage the folders:

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=File%20Placement

I'm playing with the file placement rules right now to try to get all the files back in the correct sub folders. Seems to be working.

Am I seeing that the only way to do this going forward would be to manually add each movie/TV shoe folder to the rule? Is there a way to set a rule for all of the subfolders within a folder, instead of per folder?