Fixing security permissions after Windows 7 reinstall and rebuilding pools

Nerva

Question

So, my server's SSD boot drive suddenly died.   Fortunately I had a spare handy and was able to reinstall Windows 7 x64.   I was overjoyed when after reinstalling DrivePool, my pools were immediately recreated as if nothing had happened.   HOWEVER.   It seems the files and folders have old security permissions left over, and they are interfering with using the files.   Any time I try to move/delete/rename/edit any file from the server locally, it pops up with an administrator authorization, and if I try to do it over the network from my desktop machine, it says it is unsuccessful.

So it seems like I need to cleanse the drive-pools of their old security permissions and reset them to their defaults.   Is there an easy way to do this?

1 answer to this question

The easiest way would be to set the permissions on the pool a the root folder and replace the permissions "on all child objects". 

That, or use the WSS Troubleshooter:

http://dl.covecube.com/WssTroubleshoot/Release/download/Wss.Troubleshoot_1.0.0.165.exe

Select the "Reset NTFS Permissions on the pool" and run it.

It will set the permissions back to a "clean" state for the pool automatically. Though, this can take a while (hours) depending on the size of the pool.