Lost Drive, now getting permissions errors

crankycowboy

Question

I have the worst luck. I had been having some problems with drivepool (turns out it was a failing disk that was the problem). I removed the disk from the pool and all problems went away. Unfortunately, I had to turn off duplication when I lost the disk intending to get another ASAP. As luck would have it, I lost a 2nd disk about 10 days later (with no duplication). Scanner didn't detect any problems beforehand, and drivepool just suddenly reported "disk missing from pool". I pulled the disk out and verified that it's not spinning up at all. I am going to get a replacement circuit board and have the firmware transferred in hopes of resurrecting. My question is: I use my pool primarily for a media server. I'm not sure what data I lost; however, some of my automated processes have stopped working, so I recognized some of the config files were missing, so I was going to reinstall. However, now I'm getting a "access denied" and permission needed errors when I try to write to the pool. Nothing I have done resolves it. I'm assuming this is by design to protect the pool while the disk is missing? I also assume maybe it would resolve these issues if I "remove" the damaged disk from the pool. However, would I be able to "re-add" the disk back to the pool and it would be recognized with the data it previously had if the repair attempt is successful? Or would I just need to connect the drive up and manually move the data back over? Am I on the right track with what I'm thinking here?  Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

First, I'm sorry to hear about your hard drives failing, as that is never a pleasant experience.

And unfortunately, sometimes when they die, they don't give any warning. Which makes it even worse. :(

Unfortunately, in this case, because duplication was turned off, it's really hard to tell what was lost. StableBit DrivePool doesn't maintain a list of the files in the pool. 

As for the "Access Denied", yes, that is "by design" when you have a missing disk. It is to prevent any data from getting out of sync, or causing issues (such as mismatched contents). Once you've removed the missing disk, it should start working correctly again.

As for how to "readd" a disk back, in some cases, just reconnecting the working disk should fix the problem. If not, then grab the contents of the hidden "PoolPart" folder on the disk and move it out of the folder. Then delete the folder, and readd the disk to the pool. Then move the contents into the newly created "PoolPart" folder, and it will be back in the pool, as if nothing happened.

As always, thank you Christopher.  If you recall, I was having some problems with my circuit breaker "popping" quite often, and then my pool would have to "re-measure".  I got a UPS as you suggested, but I think a diode on the circuit board of the HD probably popped trying to protect the drive from the constant power surges...I'm assuming this is why I had multiple drive failures in a short period. In any case, thank you for you advice. Sounds like although unfortunate...I'm back on the right path.  

Sorry, I didn't really remember (though the user name did look familiar.... I have a horrible memory).

But if your circuit breaker was tripping often.... well, that's exactly why I recommended the UPS. The sudden loss of power and spikes can cause some pretty nasty damage. Unfortunately, it sounds like you didn't get it in time to prevent damage to the drives. 

And yes, that can absolutely wreck any sensitive electronics, especially hard drives.