Split my boot SSD into C: and D: for use with optimizer?

baldursgate

Question

7 answers to this question

Thanks for the update.. I'm getting a new server built out and am hoping to use the SSD optimizer. If I understand correctly, in the following scenario:

SSD (split to C: and D:), and a pool containing D:, HDD1 (E:), and HDD2 (F:)

And I want to use D: as the optimizer, while having duplicated folders on E: and F: -- DrivePool will write only to the SSD if I'm putting files in unduplicated folders, right? I.e. it will know to write to E:/F: if I'm writing to a duplicated folder, but only D: for unduplicated?

if you're using Duplication, then you'd need to have too "SSD"/feeder disks. Otherwise, duplicated data will be written to a slower disk. This may slow down the file transfer speed.

Specifically, the SSD Optimizer configures the pool so that ALL new files are written to the SSD/feeder disks. If there are not enough of them (such as in the case of duplication), then it will write to the SSD/feeder disk AND to an Archive disk. 

Additionally, something to consider here:

If you're using the pool over the network, then there may not be a real gain here. The max throughput for gigabit network is ~120MB/s (but you're more likely to see ~100-110MB/s, under ideal conditions).  Also, most HDDs will get to 80-100MB/s.

So you may not see a significant performance increase by using the SSD Optimizer unless you're "dumping" files onto the pool locally.

Yes and no.

It depends on the files you're creating and WHERE they are located, and if THAT folder is duplicated. 

If the folder is duplicated, then it writes to the SSD and a HDD if you only have one SSD/feeder disk.

If the folder is not duplicated, then it will just write to the SSD.