Drive recovery and system could not find the file

Praxis132

Question

So one of the drives in my pool started to die this week and I have been trying to remove it from the pool after adding a drive with enough space to copy all the data over.  I have tried several times to just remove the drive but every time I try I get a error stating that windows can not find the specified file.  I have tried several different ways but it always ends up with that error.  Is there anyway around it, I tried to just robocopy the drive from one to another but it resulted in the same error. If I clone the bad drive to the fresh drive will it accept it as the old drive?  Or would I just be better off removing the drive and trying to salvage the pool as is?

Thanks,

Blake

3 answers to this question

There should be a "forced damaged drive removal" option. This skips any files that it errors out on, for just this reason.

If this is happening for specific files, it may be that the disk is damaged in those locations, making it nearly impossible to read the file.

And since robocopy is having similar issues, it definitely sounds like a bad disk.

Could you enable file system logging on the system and reproduce the issue?

StableBit DrivePool 1.X: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Log_Collection

StableBit DrivePool 2.X: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Worse case here, you can physcially remove the disk, and then remove the missing disk from the pool.

However, if you have any unduplicated data on that drive, it will no longer show up in the pool. 

But if you're able to access the files on that drive in another system, you can copy it back over to the pool.